Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > The bandaids are strong with this one

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
artyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The bandaids are strong with this one

So I just kegged an oatmeal stout a few days ago. I probably brewed it three weeks ago. I also did a batch of very low gravity beer with the third runnings. Both batches taste strongly of bandaids. Is this a flavor that's permanent or will it go away with time? This is the first batch of beer that I've ever done that I'd call "contaminated". The flavor comes through so strong that I just can't drink it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5162 Times on 3724 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Well, there are a couple of different things that cause a "band aid" taste. One is chlorine/chloramines in the water. Another could be infection, and finally a stressed yeast/ hot fermentation can also cause it.

If it's mild, and caused by stressed yeast, it might improve. If it's from chlorine, it probably won't get much better but won't get worse. If it's from infection, it'll get worse. Depending on the cause of this off-flavor, it might become drinkable with some time but never beer very good in all probability.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
artyboy
Recipes 

I'm thinking that it might have been stressed yeast. I used a starter from washed yeast that had just started seeing some action. I just left it out overnight. It might be from too hot fermentation but I doubt it. I used the same water/process that I use with all of my brews so I don't see how it could be chlorine. I guess I'll just stick it in the corner for a couple of months.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
KillerKellers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had this problem once on my first batch of Eds Haus Pale Ale.. I point all fingers at the recalled Nottingham yeast though, and I've never had that problem since.

The wife and I still drank all 5g of it, we just tried to cover it up with slices of oranges. Wasn't too bad if you drank a few pints of something else first =)

Primary: 10g English Mild, 10g Robust Porter, 10g Skeeter Pee
Keg: Black Cherry Apfelwein, 10g AHS Low Carb Ale, 10g Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale, Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I find that a pint of my own semen makes the best starters.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Let it sit more. Maybe the flavor will subside. After a month or so try dry hopping to change the flavor.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
artyboy
Recipes 

When I don't drink anything else first it's actually more tolerable. It's weird because it's the only smell and off flavor present and it's very very clean. It's just not a good flavor if you can understand what I mean.

Quick Reply