Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bad batch, thinking about distilling...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How do you think they make the corn alcohol they add to gasoline? They make a 10% beer then distill it. That's all it is...plus they add some gas to it so the workers don't drink it.

I've been reading some people have been allowed to distill alcohol when using it as an experimental fuel source.

Check into under those premises.

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2006, 12:21 AM   #12
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
How do you think they make the corn alcohol they add to gasoline? They make a 10% beer then distill it. That's all it is...plus they add some gas to it so the workers don't drink it.

I've been reading some people have been allowed to distill alcohol when using it as an experimental fuel source.

Check into under those premises.
this is true but they want to produce Methyl and ethanol not ethyl. That crap smells really bad.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:58 AM   #13
Focus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod
as previously stated illegal in north america use at you own risk
but good info here www.homedistiller.org

As I've posted elsewhere, this site is VERY GOOD b/c it breaks down the basics and everything you'll need to know if you were looking to distill - including how not to go blind. This is definitely the site I'd use if I - er, if a friend of mine - wanted to do some home 'stilling.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #14
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Trick is to throw away the first bit of distillation. The nasty alcohols like methyl have a lower evaporation point than good ol' ethanol. You can buy a tabletop water distiller I've heard that works quite well.

Best is to hold the beer, etc. at a temp just below ethanols evap. point and throw out what condenses. Then raise the temp and you should have pure booze.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 09-01-2006 at 06:56 AM.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
NotionCommotion
Recipes 

Distilling is only illegal in the US if you get caught.

I met a guy several months ago who says he distills his beer when ever he doesn't have a good batch, and he said it works well. I had previously heard that you never want to add hops to anything being distilled, but did not ask bring up the subject.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:58 PM   #16
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotionCommotion
Distilling is only illegal in the US if you get caught.
Would that logic apply to rape, murder and theft as well?

John

Old 09-02-2006, 01:26 AM   #17
Dave R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Would that logic apply to rape, murder and theft as well?

John
That's hardly an analogy. The only reason home distilling is illegal is because if it was legal, the government would lose billions of dollars in lost tax revenue.

What you are comparing it to are crimes against humanity.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:23 AM   #18
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
That's hardly an analogy. The only reason home distilling is illegal is because if it was legal, the government would lose billions of dollars in lost tax revenue.

What you are comparing it to are crimes against humanity.
So what are you are telling me? Is it that crimes that don't hurt anyone are really only crimes if you get caught? Or are you saying that we should only obey laws that we agree with?

I was not making an analogy. I was simply pointing out the obvious flaw in his logic. You are arguing semantics.

John

Old 09-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #19
Focus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ease up there a little John... jeez

Yeah, stilling is illegal - whether you get caught or not - but that doesn't mean somebody's an evil person if they do it. Rape, murder, etc. are illegal, too, but rapists and murderers ARE evil people because of what they do.

To get back to the subject at hand, has anyone heard any negative effects of distilling a bad batch. In particular, do the hops or any of the products of "bad fermentation" (like from wild yeast strains or bacteria) produce any nasties that you wouldn't want to distill and drink (other than the methanol which has already been covered)?

Old 09-02-2006, 05:44 PM   #20
Dave R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
So what are you are telling me? Is it that crimes that don't hurt anyone are really only crimes if you get caught? Or are you saying that we should only obey laws that we agree with?

I was not making an analogy. I was simply pointing out the obvious flaw in his logic. You are arguing semantics.

John
????Where did you read into my statement that... "Is it that crimes that don't hurt anyone are really only crimes if you get caught? Or are you saying that we should only obey laws that we agree with?"

I only stated that the government made it illegal to distill alcohol because they would lose a substantial amount of income from the lost taxes.

People HAVE gotten hurt, even killed from distilling alcohol. No one knows because all the accidents are not reported because it's ...cough, cough...illegal to do it.

Yes, please lighten up, John. Focus' point is right on.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply