Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Awesome Hop Strainer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2137 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

I've been tryign different things and other than a Stainless Mesh Basket, my favorite idea was to drop a weighted Stainless ring in the bottom. I've even made a cubical frame to stretch the bag over, but getting it to stay open at the top for hop additions AND be able to lower into various heights hasn't worked out so far.

In a 15 gallon keggle, the bag hangs pretty far down in there in a 5 gallon batch. Haven't quite tried the stainless ring in the bottom yet, but I think it could work as long as it doesn't end up standing on it's side.

maybe a combination frame and stainless drain opening with a chain to hang it down to the right depth??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
sd_tom
Recipes 

ok well I feel a little better that I'm not the only one that's had complications with this thing what about some chinese lantern kind of thing (the orb/sphere ones) where you knit with some nylon thread rings of different sizes so it opens up when suspended?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
RobbyBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
In a 15 gallon keggle, the bag hangs pretty far down in there in a 5 gallon batch. Haven't quite tried the stainless ring in the bottom yet, but I think it could work as long as it doesn't end up standing on it's side.
Something like this?

I put this together from stainless cake rings and stainless worm clamps (have to be careful to get "all" stainless--the cheaper clamps have zinc screws). I hang it off the side of my kettle, and it keeps its shape pretty well. Clamping the ring at the bottom seems to keep the bag from going sideways.

I don't want to relax. I'm too worried. But I will drink that homebrew.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2137 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeers View Post
Something like this?

I put this together from stainless cake rings and stainless worm clamps (have to be careful to get "all" stainless--the cheaper clamps have zinc screws). I hang it off the side of my kettle, and it keeps its shape pretty well. Clamping the ring at the bottom seems to keep the bag from going sideways.
Actually, I was picturing using some heavy SS rod bent in a round shape, about 10" across...

I have some thinner wire in a basket shape out in the shop, but my TIG welding skills are not up to it's tiny diameter.

But you've given me an idea...

Quick Reply