Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Avoiding Oxidation When Bottling from Keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
natelindner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Avoiding Oxidation When Bottling from Keg?

Hi all,

Due to lack of sufficient funds and space, building and owning a cheezer is not a viable option for me. However, I am considering buying a single keg and using it to bottle my beers.

One thing I see over and over again is people expressing concern for oxidizing their beer when bottling from a keg without a beer gun. My question is, how does bottling from the keg in this way (with a racking cane) in any way increase risk of oxidation that wouldn't already be there when, say, bottling and priming? When I bottle with priming sugar there is a little headspace that isn't pumped with CO2 gas, and yet I never have had problems with oxidized beer nor is that something people seem to express as a concern.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Rockn_M
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This might help...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/

Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockn_M View Post
I use this to bottle carbonated beer. It gets capped under foam. No oxidation issues at all.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
rpe290
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by natelindner View Post
Hi all,

Due to lack of sufficient funds and space, building and owning a cheezer is not a viable option for me. However, I am considering buying a single keg and using it to bottle my beers.

One thing I see over and over again is people expressing concern for oxidizing their beer when bottling from a keg without a beer gun. My question is, how does bottling from the keg in this way (with a racking cane) in any way increase risk of oxidation that wouldn't already be there when, say, bottling and priming? When I bottle with priming sugar there is a little headspace that isn't pumped with CO2 gas, and yet I never have had problems with oxidized beer nor is that something people seem to express as a concern.
When you are using priming sugar in the bottle, the yeast scavenge a bunch of that dissolved oxygen--also, the wort is normally warm and that means less oxygen in solution. If you are bottling "cold, already carbonated" beer from a keg, you don't have a bottle prime/fermentation to scavenge oxygen and cold beer picks it up into solution easier.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
tflew
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I use more beers counter pressure bottle filler. It purges with CO2 and pressurizes the bottle so you dont get foaming. Once you get it figured out it works great.

Quick Reply