Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Avoiding hot break boilover with a pre-boil rest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
pfooti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Avoiding hot break boilover with a pre-boil rest

I don't know if this has come up in the past, but I posted a thread about it in the beginner forum and received minimal responses. I thought I'd try it here and see if this is one of those "yeah, we all do that", or "no, that's a terrible idea" ideas.

Anyway- my understanding of boilover is that the biggest threat comes right at the start of the boil because that's when hot break proteins are starting to coagulate and they cause the foam to be very stable. Result: the foam does not break down quickly enough and therefore runs over the pot. It is not (in my experience) problems with boil nucleation sites. If it were, the only way to solve the problem would be adding sites (boiling chips, pennies), and there wouldn't be the die-back of boilover after five to ten minutes.

Based on that, I have started a new regimen where I turn the gas off right as my wort gets at the edge of boiling. There's some foam formation, and things are starting to look threatening. I leave the heat off for five to ten minutes (long enough to grab a new beer, read a few pages of my book, or whatever), and then fire the gas back up. During that entire time, hot break proteins are still coagulating, and they've now gotten heavy enough that they don't contribute to the foam anymore, they just sink to the bottom.

The result is: I don't get boilover, and I don't have to worry about "riding" the flame by constantly adjusting the temperature, or picking up the pot, or any of that. I just turn the heat off, wait, turn it back on. The only nervous-making moments are when I throw in the hops, and even then it's just a big rumble rather than a foam geyser.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I do something similar... I brew electric with a flat-top stove and a heat stick. When the boil starts I kill the heat stick until I am past the danger zone. By killing the heat stick I go from full rolling aggressive boil potential to barely boil potential. This reduction in heat input prevents my boil overs.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Get some Fermcap-S and never worry about a boil over again. Best 7 bucks I've spent on this hobby yet.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep defoamer all the way. Even at 1/2 the recommended dose I never had another issue with a boil over.

shat happens

Old 12-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

When it gets near boil time, I hang out and stir/skim. Prefer that to adding plastic bits to my beer. OP's idea seems like a good idea, just prefer to stir.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
stinkynathan
Recipes 

Another vote for Fermcap S. I mis-measured on one of my batches last weekend and ended up with 7.6 gallons in an 8-gallon pot. A few drops of Fermcap S and I walked away to put up insulation in my garage until the first hop addition.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
apratsunrthd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Noob question: Do you see any head retention issues when you use Fermcap-S?

Old 12-18-2010, 03:35 AM   #8
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
When it gets near boil time, I hang out and stir/skim. Prefer that to adding plastic bits to my beer. OP's idea seems like a good idea, just prefer to stir.
Been there, done that, tried FermCap, and will not brew without it. Fermcap drops out after turbulence stops, either in the kettle or fermenter. Most peoples' beer spends most of it's life in plastic, why is this different. I'm not sure what it is, but I thought it was silicon based (sand - pretty inert).

Quote:
Originally Posted by apratsunrthd View Post
Noob question: Do you see any head retention issues when you use Fermcap-S?
It is supposed to be improved. I've no data either way. Also supposed to increase IBUs by up to 10%.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
darkstar79
Recipes 

I have used the Fermcap before and it worked GREAT. Then I stopped because I started to get worried about putting the silicone is something I was drinking. Now just as it starts to get close to the top of the kettle I just turn the heat to low, wait for it to break and then just adjust the heat to a good rolling boil.

On tap: Wet Hop IPA and Farmhouse Ale
Primary 1: Pumpkin Ale

Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
pfooti
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, if fermcap works for you- fine by me. I was trying to point out a free alternative to putting things in the boil, fermcap or pennies.

Quick Reply