Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aunt Flow's Bloody Beer recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
Scot_chale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

any thoughts on lager yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My favorite bloody beers are with Tecate, or pilsners. So I'd make a lager for sure if you can.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 3388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot_chale View Post
in response to adding clamato to the bottle:

there are 10 grams of sugar in 1 liter of clamato. this is small enough to not cause any problems.
the sulfite question is one to take into consideration, but i'm gonna roll the dice.
according to there website theres 9gms in 8 ozs...that makes 38.25 grams or 1.36 oz of sugar in 1 liter. Adjust accordingly, dont want bloody bombs after all this

It shows MSG in the ingredients but i believe yeast will eat that up.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

crazy- the liter i have in my hand right now says 10g/SERVING, which is 8oz. so if i'm doing 2 gallons, with 1/2oz each- i should have about 24 12oz bottles- which will be 12oz overall- so we'll estimate high and say 120grams of sugar. it calls for 1.9oz of white sugar for a 2 gallon batch. that would make for 4.29oz of sugar in the bottle before adding white sugar for priming. if i cut the amount of clamato added to the bottle to 1/4oz, and skipped the priming sugar, that should work out to close enough to 2oz to make me happy. will the left over yeast react with the clamato to carbonate is the question.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i'm thinking Saflager S-23 Lager Yeast might be the way to go.

here's the link: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/s...ger-yeast.html

being that it's a 2 gallon batch- i'll just use half the pack and come up with some other 2 gallon lager to burn up the rest of it with.

thoughts?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 3388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot_chale View Post
crazy- the liter i have in my hand right now says 10g/SERVING, which is 8oz. so if i'm doing 2 gallons, with 1/2oz each- i should have about 24 12oz bottles- which will be 12oz overall- so we'll estimate high and say 120grams of sugar. it calls for 1.9oz of white sugar for a 2 gallon batch. that would make for 4.29oz of sugar in the bottle before adding white sugar for priming. if i cut the amount of clamato added to the bottle to 1/4oz, and skipped the priming sugar, that should work out to close enough to 2oz to make me happy. will the left over yeast react with the clamato to carbonate is the question.
your calculations are off...for one i thought you were using more than 1/2oz in each (you might not get much flavor from that, i would up it to an ounce if not more)

as to your calculations if your going to up it to an oz in each bottle that makes 24 ozs. which is only 30 grams of sugar (10gms in 8oz = 30gms in 24oz) your only looking at about an ounce of sugar so u would need to add another oz to get correct priming....if you use 1/2oz in each bottle you will only have 12 oz which is 15 grams or 1/2 oz so you will need to add 1.5oz of extra sugar to prime your batch

EDIT: if you use lager yeast for this batch you will need correct equipment for lagering and will take alot longer to bottle condition. I recommend a clean fermenting ale yeast like us-05, 001, 1056.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

awesome! thank you very much! i'm gonna order the ingredients next week so I'll let you all know how it goes!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #18
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I second the recommendation to use an Ale yeast like S-05 which is inexpensive and ferments clean when kept in the low-mid 60's.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Talk about a disaster. So I brewed this drunk, went with the S-05 yeast rehydrated, pitched it waaaay too hot. Killed the yeast completely. After two weeks, a friend gave me a vial of German Lager Yeast, so I put it in the fridge after pitching that. It's fermenting for sure, but it tastes like sour green olives and garbage. I dry hopped it after 2 weeks in the fridge with 1/2oz Willamette leaf hops I had left over, and i'm waiting. I think I'm gonna bring it to room temperature and top my volume loss with clamatro thursday. Then one week of sitting and I'm just gonna bottle it and see what happens. If it tastes like clamato, i'm gonna use table sugar to prime. If it doesn't, then I'll measure out a proper amount of clamato and just roll with it. Experiments are good, but this is a couple batches in a row of things not going right, and then just adding **** and hoping for the best. The other lesson learned, that's all ready been learned, is never brew drunk. Start sober and have a beer or two, but don't be out with friends and plowed and say 'hey! let's all go back to my place! i've got a batch of beer to brew!'. simply stupid. i'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #20
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

They actually sell beer with clamato or tomato juice in it. It shows up in the coolers up here in the north from time to time. Its called chelada. My wife enjoys it as a morning drink. I like it but it's not on my list of must haves (I assume it would be a great hangover remedy but since I never get hungover I can't say if that's the case or not.

Just drink it!

Quick Reply