Attic Fan Temp Controller = Inexpensive Fermentation Controller????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernip

Reaction score
Has anyone looked at using one of these for controlling a fridge for fermentation control?
Master Flow Adjustable Power Thermostat Fits All Masterflow Power Vent Products - PT-6 at The Home Depot

They are only $24 and looks like you could splice in a PC power cable inline to get it working? Limitations would be that it can only go down to 60 degrees and the accuracy of the thermostat is in question. You could always place an external thermometer inside the chamber and calibrate the thermostat.

I would not waste time with this. It might work, but that lower temp limit isn't going to satisfy you for very long.

You can find the Johnson Controls A19 analog temp controller on ebay for less than $30. Make sure you verify it has the correct temp range (some are not appropriate range).

If you buy off ebay, you will likely need to take short 3-prong extension cord and do a bit of wiring yourself.

Or, pay Northern Brewer $60 for the correct controller ready-to-go.

I was looking for something to use that was readily available locally. Most importantly something that could pass undetected by the SWMBO in the next trip to the home improvement store. :D I've never gone below 60 for a ferm temp before and have no plans on doing a lager in the next year. If I upgrade in a year I'm only out $25.

Edit: Opps looks like that ebay link is for a 100-240* range controller.

Back