Ascorbic acid use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmitt777

Reaction score
I'm getting some off favors and the beer is changing after I bottle condition.
I'm thinking it's oxidation and I've been reading that 1/2 teaspoon of ascorbic acid will help in a 5 gal batch.
My question is ..... When do I use it. At the end of a boil, when I move to the secondary or in the bottle bucket ?
Thanks !

How much head space are you leaving?? There should never really be a need to use Ascorbic acid....My guess is that problem lies outside of bottle conditioning. Ascorbic acid is a pure upsell product.

I doubt you are getting oxidation just from bottling. It is more probable that your problem lies somewhere in your process or sanitation and it is showing up in the bottle as a function of time and/or carbonation. Can you explain the off flavors? How do you sanitize?

I have tried a couple different cleaners /sanitizers but have settled on PBW & starsan.
I have trouble with keeping it from splashing when I transfer from primary to secondary with the auto siphon.
Same issue when moving it to the bottling bucket.

I'm pretty sure it's not bottle head space or bottle sanitation issue I'm very careful and fill to 1 in of the top.

My latest batch was a pale ale with citra hops.
I checked the fg and tasted the beer from the hydrometer tube and it was great, lots of floral and citrus flavors.
Two weeks in the bottle and not getting much citrus but a slight sour note at the end.
this batch was 6 days in primary bucket and 2 weeks in glass 6 gal carboy.

Thanks for the feedback.

schmitt777 said:
I have tried a couple different cleaners /sanitizers but have settled on PBW & starsan.
I have trouble with keeping it from splashing when I transfer from primary to secondary with the auto siphon.
Same issue when moving it to the bottling bucket.

I'm pretty sure it's not bottle head space or bottle sanitation issue I'm very careful and fill to 1 in of the top.

My latest batch was a pale ale with citra hops.
I checked the fg and tasted the beer from the hydrometer tube and it was great, lots of floral and citrus flavors.
Two weeks in the bottle and not getting much citrus but a slight sour note at the end.
this batch was 6 days in primary bucket and 2 weeks in glass 6 gal carboy.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have since replaced my auto siphon and replaced the plastic tubing as well as converted to a 6 gal glass carboy for primary and a 5 gal for secondary.

Oxidation could be coming from the secondary. You said you used a 6 gal carboy. If it's a 5 gal batch, that leaves 1 gal of headspace (air) after primary fermentation is done. You should have as little headspace as possible in the secondary or skip it altogether and primary for a few extra weeks. Going to a 5 gal secondary is a good choice. Let us know if that helps. I'm curious to know how much improvement you get. Good luck!

Back