Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Apartment brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Hermish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Apartment brewing

I just moved, and I had to go from a house to an apartment. This means that I had to leave my sweet 3 tier system behind and go back to extract in the kitchen. The question that I have is about cooling the wort after I'm done brewing. I used an ice bath last time I brewed, but it takes forever, and I don't have a ton of ice ever. I have 2 wort chillers so I had a prechiller and then one in the pot when I was at home, but now I don't have a water spigot. The kitchen sink doesn't have any threads, so I was thinking I might be able to use the spigot that goes into the washing machine. I haven't tried it to see if the threads even work, and I would need to find somewhere to drain the water, but I wanted to see if any of you had any good advice for me.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm an extract brewer also.

I do 1.5 gal boils.

I also place 4 1 gal milk (water) jugs in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing.

Possible to do in an apartment fridge freezer if you removed the food and the shelves. It's not really a good idea to to remove the food.

For your situation I would probably recommend a wort chiller. It could be hooked up to the washers water supply and an exit hose to the tub or kitchen sink. Anyone local you can borrow from instead of putting out the cash?

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 04-27-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm in the same boat, apartment-wise. I do 2.5 gallon boils on the range, and I use an ice bath in the sink. I use two of the small bags of ice from the gas station and get the water up to the wort level. It generally gets the temp down to 80 in twenty minutes.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Isn't there a trick where you add salt to the ice to make it colder?

Old 04-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

They sell things that will go over the water spigot on your bath tub so you can make a shower without having to put pipes in the wall. You might be able to buy one of these the cut the shower head off and hook it up to the chiller.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Raffie
Recipes 

I'm in a condo and its like the place your in.

I got my wart chiller and a use the shower to cool it.

I remove the shower head and put on a adapter on and screw the wart chiller onto it and run the cold water throught it. works like a charm.

I went to Lowes and got a brass adaprt that goes onto the shower threads and the outside of it has threads for a hose like outisde.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Craig5_12
Recipes 

Why not just get a length of tubing that fits over the kitchen faucet and size it down/up to fit your wort chiller?

Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Hermish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
For your situation I would probably recommend a wort chiller. It could be hooked up to the washers water supply and an exit hose to the tub or kitchen sink. Anyone local you can borrow from instead of putting out the cash?
I have 2 wort chillers already. That is why I was hoping to use the washing machine spigot, and was just wondering if anyone had done this before or had any advice for me.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
They sell things that will go over the water spigot on your bath tub so you can make a shower without having to put pipes in the wall. You might be able to buy one of these the cut the shower head off and hook it up to the chiller.
...or you can buy a new shower with the kind that is attached to a hose and just screw off the head. There's no need to cut anything.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
Hermish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig5_12
Why not just get a length of tubing that fits over the kitchen faucet and size it down/up to fit your wort chiller?
That might be a good idea. I'll have to see how big the size change is, and if I could do it easily with minimal leaking.

Quick Reply