Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone stick their kettle in the oven?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Johnnyhamer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Anyone stick their kettle in the oven?

I'm new to grains and am wondering if any stovetop brewers do this. Seems like you could consistently keep the bash warm after you reach your temp on the stove.

Or is this just a terrible idea? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Some people do, but I've found that if you just get the water a few degrees higher than your mash temp, once you add your grains, and put the lid on, your mash temp will be fine for the 60 or 90 min mash.

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Johnnyhamer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Cool, much easier that way. I'm just mashing a gallon for a 2.5g partial grain batch so want it to keep the temp.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If your kettle is small enough, putting your oven at 150, and putting that in the oven is a great way to ensure it retains temp. My kettles are all too large for my oven though.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Johnnyhamer Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've done it before. My oven only goes down to 170 so slightly high but it worked fine for me. I was doing a 3g steep with an extract recipe and after 30 mins in the oven my 150 water only 155, still ok for steeling. If your oven doesn't go down to 150-160 you might have an issue with only 1g but it's worth a try. Seems an easy thing to test too, just try it with only water and see what happens.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have been doing partial mash BIAB in a 5G stainless stock pot.

I tried mashing on the stove with limited success. Every 20 minutes, I'd stir, check temperatures, and fire up the burner to bring the mash back up to temperature. I found the temperature dropped too quickly. Perhaps if the burner was turned down low enough, and the mash stirred often enough, the proper mash temperature could be maintained throughout, but I never tried this.

Then I tried wrapping the pot with a sleeping bag. That made it harder to check the temperature of the mash, and really difficult to use the stove to heat the mash back up to the desired temperature. While it held temperature much better than being in the open air on my stovetop, the mash temperature still dropped more than I was comfortable with.

Then I tried using my oven. Even though my oven's thermostat only goes down to 170 and has quite a wide delta between shutting off and turning back on, it held my mash to the desired 152 degrees quite well. I still, every 20 minutes, remove the pot, stir and check the temperature, and return the pot to the stove, but this seems to work the best of all the methods I've tried.

I've just recently converted an insulated water cooler into a mash tun, so I'm hoping I'll no longer need the oven for mashing.

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Johnnyhamer Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

It’s a good idea to check it with water to calibrate it. Temperature loss (or gain) is proportional to the temperature difference. The closer you can get it, the better it will work.

The temperature swing (hysteresis) of the air in the oven is enormous, on the order of ± 30 F °. Don’t panic, the high mass of the mash will integrate these swings nicely, you’re looking for the average. Just keep adjusting the oven until the water temp holds.

In my oven 175 ° F will hold the mash pretty much forever. At 200 ° F it will mash out in 3-4 hours. So it seems my calibration is off about 25 F ° at these temps.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Beergazzi
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I do this with every batch. I do partial mash 5gal, or all grain 2.5gal batches, so I heat my water to 166-170 depending on weight of grains, add them to the strainer bag, submerge, still like hell, lid it, and into my oven at 170.

I stir every 20 minutes, and after stir #2, I turn off the oven and let it cruise.

You can also probably hold the temp just by heating the oven to 180, and turning it off when you put the kettle in the oven, between the heat of the oven and the pot, it'll hold.

I use a 8qt pot to mash in, and a 20qt to boil, that way I can dunk sparge in the same pot I mash in after I dump the wort off into the big pot (I boil water while mashing to account for the sparge water).

Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do this 100% of the time - heat to oven at lowest setting, then turn it off when you put the wort in. Works perfectly.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I do this 100% of the time - heat to oven at lowest setting, then turn it off when you put the wort in. Works perfectly.
This.

Plus, I take it out to stir every 30 minutes and check temp.

Quick Reply