Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone know how to make an.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Anyone know how to make an.....

Anyone know how to make an IV drip and bag? I couldn't find anything on the Internet......And I can't even find something I can buy....

I am going to make a HUGE beer. I'm going for as strong as possible. To make this happen I would like to slowly feed the beer yeast and sugar through an IV. I will also be oxygenating it pretty much everyday for a couple weeks to keep the yeast going hard.

Don't hate on the strong beer, it's just for fun! Hopefully I will reach 20% plus.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You just need a regular container (doesn't have to be a bag, you know), some tubing, and an inline valve. Just adjust the valve so that the flow rate is as slow as you want it to be.

If you want super precise control over the rate, you might try a pin valve instead of the ball type.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

You want something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Tubing-Aqua-Do...pd_sim_sbs_k_5

Drill a small bucket and attach the line, hang the bucket up high, and you can use the roller to adjust the flow/drip rate. I used one to feed calcium slowly in to an aquarium with much success. Easy to use and allows for fairly precise control.

Or, if you want one with a container attached: http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-KE...pd_sim_sbs_k_1

You can also make something like with tubing, a bucket, and an inline valve (as wierdboy said). I imagine you could cobble something together at Home Depot for a fraction of the cost. But that is essentially what you are trying to make.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's exactly what I need. Its def a little pricier then I want to spend. I just found something on eBay for $4. I'll just have to make my own bag somehow

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar View Post
That's exactly what I need. Its def a little pricier then I want to spend. I just found something on eBay for $4. I'll just have to make my own bag somehow
Take a bottle or jar, fill it with your sugar solution, put a stopper in it and invert it. You can drill the stopper to put your tubing in there nice and tight.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
jkendal
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The innovative spirit of my fellow homebrewers continues to fascinate me. I absolutely love this hobby!

By the way, how do you plan to brew it, Kmcogar? What process are you going to use? I've heard a number of ways to get really BIG gravities, so I'm curious how you're gonna do it.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 28

lol...when I first got into nursing, I always wondered if I could use an IV bag and tubing to use in brewing. I'm not sure that it would be necessary to slowly feed yeast through the bag so much as maybe pitching a large amount a week or so into fermentation. Using the drip for sugar addition is definitely an interesting idea though. Do you have a strong enough yeast to handle over 20%?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS