Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone Just "No Sparge"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #51
kappclark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
I've done a couple no-sparge batches and I agree that it definitely yields a richer malt character. I didn't do it because I wanted to save time, but because I wanted to see if it made a difference in the quality of the wort. My results were so exciting that I started looking into a much larger mash tun so I can easily do full 5-10 gallon batches using this method. (My ten-gallon cooler was full to the brim and I got 4.75 gallons in the fermentor.)!
I have thought of trying no sparge with a 12 lb grain bill ... I have a 10 Gal Rubbermaid ... are you saying I need a bigger cooler ??

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml says I only need 4 gallons of cooler space -- I must be missing something, because I would need at least 6 gallons of liquid, before calculating grain absorption ...

Is there a no-sparge calculator ?

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Last edited by kappclark; 06-22-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: found website

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #52
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For a 10 lb recipe, this website

says I will need 10 gallons of water and 12 lbs of grain (assuming a 6.5 gal in the BK) ..

Going to try tomorrow ..

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 06-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #53
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
I have thought of trying no sparge with a 12 lb grain bill ... I have a 10 Gal Rubbermaid ... are you saying I need a bigger cooler ??

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml says I only need 4 gallons of cooler space -- I must be missing something, because I would need at least 6 gallons of liquid, before calculating grain absorption ...

In beersmith(or other programs) treat it like boil in a bag.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #54
Rich_S
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just do the simplest form of batch sparge.

1) Heat my water based upon my calculated pre-boil volume, grain absorption, evaporation (so I have exactly how much I need).
2) Mash in based on 1.5 qt/lb of grain. Stir. Let sit for an hour. Stir again.
3) Vorlauf once or twice, then drain to my BK.
4) Heat my remaining water to 165-170 (simulatenous with step 3).
5) Dump all the remaining water into the MT. Stir. Wait 5-10 minutes. Drain to BK.

Done.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #55
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:

Because you're not inputting the higher mash thickness number you would have with a no-sparge. Use this:
http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

And keep adjusting your "mash thickness" upward until the "sparge water needed" field gets to zero. That's when you know your mash thickness without sparging because all of that water will be added at once. If I put 12 lbs of grain into the brew365 calculator and adjust the mash thickness like I'm telling you, I wind up with about 3 qts/lb. I then go to the Can-I-Mash-It calculator, insert 12 lbs and 3 qts/lb, and it says the mash will take up about 10 gallons of space. With a ten gallon cooler, you can do it, but it will be filled to the brim.

Also, keep in mind that you will not likely get a full 5.5 gallon batch in the fermentor after the boil and everything (you might get 4.5 gallons), because your pre-boil wort amount will not be the same as with sparging. The solution to this is to get a bigger mash tun, or to just deal with a slightly smaller batch size. The last time I did this, I got about 4.3 gallons in the fermentor using a 10 gallon cooler for the mash.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #56
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If your efficiency is good and you overshoot your target gravity, you can also top up pre-boil (or post boil) to make up any lost volume due to mash tun limitations. I've done this.

Supposedly, grain absorption is .2gal/lb. So if my math is correct, for 12lbs, thats 2.4 gallons. So subtract that plus any dead space from the water that the calc says you'll get and thats how much pre-boil volume you'll have.

If all of this is a pain in the butt, beersmith will tell you how big of a tun you'll need in the mash tab.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #57
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have the water heating now on the porch -- looks like the rain/cloud situation in S VT has gone away ..good day to brew

I am going to test the cooler today with the 12 lbs, and no mashout - just a straight no-sparge..

thank you all for your guidance on this ...looks like the cooler is going to be tested today ,I will ddef let u know how it went (ED Wort's Pale Ale, with a few extra pounds of 2-row)

this will let me know for sure that I need bigger equipment (I have already started a blichmann fund )

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 06-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #58
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Lucky day - Wound up there was 11 pouinds instead of 12. (new person at the HB shop .? No plm...I did a no sparge with 9 gallons (had room for a bit more .. got a little over 6 in the BK ... and a little under 5 at the end of boil ... I added 1/2 gal makeup water and have 5.5 in the Better bottle...gravity around 1.054 (before adding the half gal and pint of starter, so I am really pleased with my first no-sparge... next time I will do 9.5 gal in the cooler ..

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 09-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #59
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Lucky day - Wound up there was 11 pouinds instead of 12. (new person at the HB shop .? No plm...I did a no sparge with 9 gallons (had room for a bit more .. got a little over 6 in the BK ... and a little under 5 at the end of boil ... I added 1/2 gal makeup water and have 5.5 in the Better bottle...gravity around 1.054 (before adding the half gal and pint of starter, so I am really pleased with my first no-sparge... next time I will do 9.5 gal in the cooler ..
nice... what did you brew?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #60
IZS
Recipes 

Triple decoction BIAB 84% consistently, won't go back to any other method. Considering adding parti-gyle second running to get a real monster in the fermentor. .5 gal starters of course.

Quick Reply