Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone Just "No Sparge"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #21
John1S
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have a question about how critical the sparge temperature is. I start at 170F but all my sparge water is sitting on my stand waiting to go. I thought about this the other day when I was brewing on a cold day. By the time I got to the end of the sparge the temp had dropped significantly. I was close to 120. I guess I should go buy a small 2 gallon pail with a petcock and put up 1 gallon at a time at 170F. My efficiency is nothing to write home about (70%) and I am wondering if this is part of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I do no sparge sometimes and use the second runnings for starter wort.

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1257 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1S
I have a question about how critical the sparge temperature is. I start at 170F but all my sparge water is sitting on my stand waiting to go. I thought about this the other day when I was brewing on a cold day. By the time I got to the end of the sparge the temp had dropped significantly. I was close to 120. I guess I should go buy a small 2 gallon pail with a petcock and put up 1 gallon at a time at 170F. My efficiency is nothing to write home about (70%) and I am wondering if this is part of it.
A thread about not sparging is an odd place for a question about sparge temps, but the short answer is that it is not really critical at all.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I am not an AG guy yet but have been trying to decide what type of set up to build.

I have often wondered why not just have a big enough tun to hold all your liquid at once ( say 6.5- 7 gallons for a 5 gallon batch) and let it sit longer than the traditional 60-90 minutes or make a simple continuous stir to increase efficiency.

A simple motor or drill mounted to a stirring blade through the lid would probably do it.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #25
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 773 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldood View Post
I am not an AG guy yet but have been trying to decide what type of set up to build.

I have often wondered why not just have a big enough tun to hold all your liquid at once ( say 6.5- 7 gallons for a 5 gallon batch) and let it sit longer than the traditional 60-90 minutes or make a simple continuous stir to increase efficiency.

A simple motor or drill mounted to a stirring blade through the lid would probably do it.
That's almost a description of BIAB but when you have that much liquid you really don't have to stir to get great efficiency. The difference with the system you are describing and BIAB is that with BIAB you have a huge filter area and pressure to get the liquid out so you can use a very fine crush/grind and still get your wort. With the fine crush, your efficiency goes up.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #26
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 38

That begs the next question why not do BIAB?

Sounds like it is simpler

Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #27
phineascoates
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
Anyone Just give up sparging, and Mash No Sparge exclusively? I've done it a few times, and although efficiency can send this Virgo into fits, sure is less time consuming, and Some of the best beers Ive EVER brewed have been No Sparge. What are your thoughs on this.
Sparging is a process for making a beer. There is something bother in my mind as of now, how people calculate their sparge volumes when brewing stronger beer?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #28
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I do BIAB and usually do no-sparge with 60 to 65% efficiency. This time I drained the wort into a pail and sparged once through the bag with two gallons of cold water. Efficiency rose to 75%. Can't complain about that.

Worxman02, you get 80% BIAB with no sparge? Nice. I gotta practice more.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #29
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by phineascoates View Post
Sparging is a process for making a beer. There is something bother in my mind as of now, how people calculate their sparge volumes when brewing stronger beer?
While I do not make strong beers I can think of two ways to get a high gravity. Either just use the first runnings or boil down the batch to whatever gravity you want. I would think use the first runnings and then make a smaller beer out of the rest of the runnings.

I used to batch sparge but now just do a no sparge. I found I need to add a little grain to keep my efficiency up but the ease on brew day is worth it to me. Not to mention the chickens really love the grain if it is a little sweeter

Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 773 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
I do BIAB and usually do no-sparge with 60 to 65% efficiency. This time I drained the wort into a pail and sparged once through the bag with two gallons of cold water. Efficiency rose to 75%. Can't complain about that.

Worxman02, you get 80% BIAB with no sparge? Nice. I gotta practice more.
It isn't more practice you need, its a finer crush on your grain that is needed. My first few times of BIAB I got 80% efficiency but I used a Corona style mill and ground that grain until it looked like coarse corn meal with ripped up husks. It would have beer a problem setting a grain bed on a conventional mash tun but it works great on BIAB.

Quick Reply