Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone insulate their pots during boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Driftwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone insulate their pots during boil?

Just trying to be energy efficient...

Right now I do my boils indoors on a conventional oven. Usually takes about half an hour to get the boil going after sparging, and thats with the the batch being split into two pots and boiled on two large electric elements.

I know I lose a lot of heat during my sparge because of how long that takes, and then even during the boil, the heat radiating from the pots seems like a waste too.

So I wonder if anyone has considered insulating their pots somehow, maybe wrapping in towels or something (carefully so as now to start a fire)...

Probably not a problem for all of you guys with turkey fryers, sounds like those dish out ridiculous amounts of energy, but has anyone else thought about this?

Up next - Hoegarden clone, then maybe a Corona clone
Primary - Nothing
Secondary - Nothing
Secondary - Nothing, man I should really brew something...
Bottles - Just yeast, drank all the beer :(
Keg 1 - Sleeman Steam Beer clone
Keg 2 - India Pale Ale

2 Keg system is now operational!! :D Draft beer on tap at Chez Driftwood!! (Just in time for hockey :D)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I insulate the mash tun with shipping blankets. Used to just put it in the fermentation cabinet, but I left that in California. I generally use a wind guard around my wort kettle. Nothing more than a 20" piece of aluminum flashing rolled into a cylinder. It fits over the burner stand and the kettle sits inside of it. It not only blocks the wind, it directs the heat up the sides of the kettle. Makes the handles WAY too hot though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply