Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone here filter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #11
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowain
Those screw type things allow you to have a changeable filtering setup. You'll need either ball or pin lock attachments appropriate to the type of keg you have. The attachments also need to be of the screw on variety instead of the permanently fixed variety.

I don't know if this post is very clear. If it's not, let me know and I'll try to explain further.
Yea, I think I got you. The thumb screw items shown in the picture would screw into (maybe) the ball lock attachments. Since I didn't get those, I was just going to purchase 2 new out ball locks and hose clamp the filter lines provided to them. I.e. keep them dedicated to the filter setup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #12
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Yea, I think I got you. The thumb screw items shown in the picture would screw into (maybe) the ball lock attachments. Since I didn't get those, I was just going to purchase 2 new out ball locks and hose clamp the filter lines provided to them. I.e. keep them dedicated to the filter setup.
Right. I had to do the same thing b/c the ball lock fittings I had were not of the screw variety.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #13
Beermaker
The NAVY WALRUS

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use the canister filter with a 1 micron cartrige. I take my beer from 2ndary, into a 5 gallon keg. Then pressure ther beer through the filter into a second keg with like 2-3 psi. From there, its ready to go. I change cartriges if I filter diff. kinds of beer at 1 time, but use the same one for same beer. Works great so far. But I have been curious, is there a way to isolate and sterilize the filter between weeks of use? Or just better to change out? I change them, just wondering.

Why yes, yes I am a metrosexual!

On taps 1,2&3: Una Mas Cerveza, Ham in a Can, IPA
Primary: XINGU Clone, Rye P.A.
2ndary: Low Gluten IPA, Bourbon Oak Aged Vanilla Porter
Kegged: Sh*tty Orange Hefe, Una Mas Cerveza, Smokin Hot Blonde, Belgian Dubbel
Next up: Una Mas Cerveza, Pecan Pie

Old 12-05-2005, 11:13 PM   #14
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaker
I use the canister filter with a 1 micron cartrige. I take my beer from 2ndary, into a 5 gallon keg. Then pressure ther beer through the filter into a second keg with like 2-3 psi. From there, its ready to go. I change cartriges if I filter diff. kinds of beer at 1 time, but use the same one for same beer. Works great so far. But I have been curious, is there a way to isolate and sterilize the filter between weeks of use? Or just better to change out? I change them, just wondering.
Got any pics somewhere of the canister filter setup? This isn't like a water filter thingamabob is it? Could you "reverse" with hot water and then iodophor or something

The actual filter with my setup in the images above is kind of like two 1/16 thick paper plates (looks like asbestos, see below ) that you stick in the middle of the plastic assembly which is the filter. Haven't used it yet and won't be on schedule to even try it for about 5 weeks but I'm suspecting it's a one use item. Either that or the HBS is pulling my chain for extra $ but you're to soak it in water before using so I do believe it's 1 use only.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #15
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaker
The instructions for my kit said that once you were done filtering you were supposed to run sanitizing solution backwards through the system (obviously without the keg that is now full of filtered beer). Once you'd pushed the solution back through the filter it was supposed to be good to go again. They recommended storing it in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.

Quick Reply