Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone have any luck using meat?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anyone have any luck using meat?

Hey guys,
I have been thinking of brewing a beer that has a sausage flavor. I have seen bacon flavored beers but i'm thinking breakfast sausage. Any advice on the best way to get the sausage flavor to the beer? I was going to add some fennel at the end of boil but the smokey flavor is the tough part. I am not a fan of liquid smoke, so that is not really an option. I was thinking of maybe soaking some cooked sausage in everclear for a week or so, then add to secondary. I might consider vodka but I definitely don't want any vodka flavor in my beer.I also comsidered trying to smoke some fennel with Apple wood. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Beer it's what's for dinner

Check out my homebrew documentary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If your all grain brewing I think the best option would be to take some of your base malt and smoke it with the apple wood. Then add the fennel and any other sausage spices to the end of the boil.

Even if your using extract you could buy some grain and smoke it and then steep it for flavor

Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, to be honest, I am brewing today and it's still winter in Montana, so I might have missed my opportunity to smoke anything that is going into the boil. I would be willing to try something smokey for secondary though. I am thinking that adding flavors,to secondary could be more easily controlled. I generally don't like smoked beers, so I wouldn't wanna over do it. I planned to add the extracted sausage to taste. I would entertain the idea of adding sausage to boil, but I dunno about that one. What do ye think? I am doing a partial mash recipe by the way.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Homebrewtalk search results- "Bacon"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Revvy. For some reason, the iPad search function is TERRIBLE. This helps a ton. Any personal opinions?

Old 03-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman6234 View Post
If your all grain brewing I think the best option would be to take some of your base malt and smoke it with the apple wood. Then add the fennel and any other sausage spices to the end of the boil.

Even if your using extract you could buy some grain and smoke it and then steep it for flavor
Yeah, this is the approach I'd take too. Smoke your grain or use some smoked grain (Weyerman smoked malt, Briess cherry smoked malt, etc.). If you're extract brewing, I think there is some smoked extracts on the market but I hear it can be hard to find. Definitely don't use liquid smoke.

Add your spices during the last 15 minutes of the boil. The spices might be a little tricky. When I think of sausage they're pretty strong flavors so it'd be real easy to overdo it.

If you do take the meat in everclear approach, I'd recommend putting it in the freezer for a while then strain it through a fine mesh strainer or coffee filter. This should help prevent grease from getting into your secondary.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The brew went really well. The spices ring through quite a bit on their own. I might just add some lactose for sweetness and mouth feel and roll with it.

It sounds like I could get some decent sausage flavor doing some dry hogging though. Maybe I will try it for kicks. Just cook my sausage well and get out all the grease that I can. I am a little concerned about meat bacteria though...

Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would keep the meat away from the fermenters. The flavor we think of as "sausage" really is more in the spices than in the pork. Smoked malt would go a long way to help it but it's a bit late for that. Better to make this a good first try to learn from and then make a second try with the smoked malt and anything else you learn from this batch.

When we're trying something new and experimental, rarely do we get it right with the first batch.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Soaking meat in secondary sounds disgusting. Just use the spices and smoked malt. Thats the flavor you're looking for anyway.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I second the be wary of meat in fermentor sentiment. If you are really inclined to use it somehow, I would do a cold extraction in Everclear, then get it real cold and get the fat to congeal at the top so you can remove it. Then you could add that extract to taste. But I think smoked malt plus fennel and sage would do it too.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS