Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone else weighing their water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
fratermus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anyone else weighing their water?

I find measuring precise amounts of water time-consuming and difficult to do with any real accuracy.

Since water is heavy (a kg/liter, or about 8.35#/gallon) I'd think it'd be easy to measure precise volumes by weight. So I bought a 50# hanging digital scale off eBay and hung it from my tree near the porch. Suspended a bucket on it, tared it to zero and turned the RV hose loose on it. Simple as pie, stopped when it got to 20.85# (the calculated weight of my mash water). Did it again to measure out sparge water. Very easy with no head-sideways kentucky windage estimates.

I also used the scale to measure out base grains, so it's not a total waste of funds if the water weighing idea is flawed in some weigh I am overlooking. Unless there is a problem with it I think I am converting to weighing water instead of measuring it by volume.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Sounds like a good plan to me. In addition to brewing I bake bread. I always weigh all the ingredients for baking including water. It is the most accurate way to be consistent. I can't see why it would not be the same for brewing.

Sounds quicker too.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 11-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

When I marked the sight tubes on my keggles, I weighed each gallon of water according to what it should weigh at whatever temp it was. It's really the most accurate way to do it.

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If it works for you, then it's a fine idea.

I don't worry about getting an exact amount of water in my mash. If I'm off by a quart or so on the strike water for a 10 gallon batch, I'm not going to sweat it. I don't measure my sparge water at all. I just fill up my HLT to about 4/5ths full and sparge until I'm done collecting wort for the boil.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Quick Reply