Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone else weighing their water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
fratermus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anyone else weighing their water?

I find measuring precise amounts of water time-consuming and difficult to do with any real accuracy.

Since water is heavy (a kg/liter, or about 8.35#/gallon) I'd think it'd be easy to measure precise volumes by weight. So I bought a 50# hanging digital scale off eBay and hung it from my tree near the porch. Suspended a bucket on it, tared it to zero and turned the RV hose loose on it. Simple as pie, stopped when it got to 20.85# (the calculated weight of my mash water). Did it again to measure out sparge water. Very easy with no head-sideways kentucky windage estimates.

I also used the scale to measure out base grains, so it's not a total waste of funds if the water weighing idea is flawed in some weigh I am overlooking. Unless there is a problem with it I think I am converting to weighing water instead of measuring it by volume.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Sounds like a good plan to me. In addition to brewing I bake bread. I always weigh all the ingredients for baking including water. It is the most accurate way to be consistent. I can't see why it would not be the same for brewing.

Sounds quicker too.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 11-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

When I marked the sight tubes on my keggles, I weighed each gallon of water according to what it should weigh at whatever temp it was. It's really the most accurate way to do it.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If it works for you, then it's a fine idea.

I don't worry about getting an exact amount of water in my mash. If I'm off by a quart or so on the strike water for a 10 gallon batch, I'm not going to sweat it. I don't measure my sparge water at all. I just fill up my HLT to about 4/5ths full and sparge until I'm done collecting wort for the boil.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Quick Reply