Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone brew with Chinese herbs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Quikfeet509
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone brew with Chinese herbs?

I am probably getting ahead of myself since my first batch just made it into a secondary and the entire process has been a comedy of errors, but I was wondering if anyone incorporates the use of herbs in their beers. I have a degree in acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine and I am familiar with 300+ herbs [most of which would probably suck in beer] and I have access to reputable supply companies. I am also aware of the Sacred and Healing Herbal Beers, although I haven't gotten around to purchasing it yet.

I was think of using herbs that might taste good [Gou Qi Zi, Da Zao, Huang Qi], might have beneficial effects [Ren Shen, some of the digestive herbs], or that might have interesting side-effects [Dang Shen (read: Salvia)].

Anyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ooh, now I think I want to maybe try some ginseng and make an energy beer! Or Yin Yang Huo for... ya know....

Old 09-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well that's the great thing about homebrewing, you are free to try whatever you want!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Quikfeet509
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbits View Post
Ooh, now I think I want to maybe try some ginseng and make an energy beer! Or Yin Yang Huo for... ya know....
I do know...and I think it would go over well with pretty much everyone involved [once I could find a way to mask the taste...not a big fan of the flavor].

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
Well that's the great thing about homebrewing, you are free to try whatever you want!
My chief concerns are the lag-time and cost of doing experimental batches. Guess I could try a small batch although wouldn't that require smaller-volume equipment?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikfeet509 View Post
My chief concerns are the lag-time and cost of doing experimental batches. Guess I could try a small batch although wouldn't that require smaller-volume equipment?
You can get a case (6pcs) of half-gallon jugs pretty cheap. I use them for experimental batches. Make a 3gal and bust it up ways.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #6
Quikfeet509
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
You can get a case (6pcs) of half-gallon jugs pretty cheap. I use them for experimental batches. Make a 3gal and bust it up ways.

Duly noted.

I did receive my "Sacred Herbal Healing Beers" book and although I am a hippy, I found much of the prose to be a bit too tree-hugger-ish.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone brew with Chinese herbs?

I don't know any Chinese guys named "Herb"...

Old 09-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikfeet509 View Post

I did receive my "Sacred Herbal Healing Beers" book and although I am a hippy, I found much of the prose to be a bit too tree-hugger-ish.
Yeah, I agree about the tone/prose, and A LOT of those recipes leave something to be desired....I even wonder if some of them are downright dangerous (I doubt it, I'm sure they have all been tested, but still.)

I sure hope no first time brewers use that book as their "bible" on how to make beer...

Anyway, you might find this dead thread of mine interesting...I posted asking for some info on this, and it sunk like a lead balloon...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/bek-...ng-wine-59098/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-13-2008, 03:21 AM   #9
Quikfeet509
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah, I agree about the tone/prose, and A LOT of those recipes leave something to be desired....I even wonder if some of them are downright dangerous (I doubt it, I'm sure they have all been tested, but still.)

I sure hope no first time brewers use that book as their "bible" on how to make beer...

Anyway, you might find this dead thread of mine interesting...I posted asking for some info on this, and it sunk like a lead balloon...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/bek-...ng-wine-59098/

Man, I looked at that thread and suddenly I felt like I was back in school trying to remember the ingredients to formula. The ingredient list looks very familiar, and if I get time this weekend, I'll find what it is modified from. It is difficult to tell exactly it is supposed to be without specific dosages, but I'll do my best.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
OregonNative
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think it'd be great to have a recipe around here that uses Chinese herbs. I'd love to make a batch with my Chinese friend Xiaoxia. She'd get a kick out of it hehe.

upcoming: O' Flannagain Stout, Ed's Haus Pale Ale,EvilTOJ's McMenamins Ruby Clone

Quick Reply