The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Any ideas for clarifying this batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
etisdale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any ideas for clarifying this batch?

Hi, All. I've had this batch of beer going for about a month now (still in primary).

http://i37.tinypic.com/2uo50rt.jpg

I was planning on bottling this weekend, but, as you can see, there is a little problem with clarity. This is my third batch of beer recently, and I have not yet had this problem. I've added Whirlfloc to each batch, including this one.

I measured the gravity last weekend at 1.018, and the beer tasted fine. So, I don't think it is a contamination.

Any ideas on what's going on and how I can fix it? I'm thinking of racking to a secondary and adding some isinglass. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
mowilly
Recipes 

I had a similar issue. I racked to a secondary, waited to get near finishing gravity, then I added 2t knox gelatin dissolved in 1c water for 30 min, then brought to 180 degrees- I let mine cool, a bit, then stirred it into my beer. Wait three days and you should be ready to bottle.

Here's the before:
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/DSCF0003.jpg

And the after:
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...DSCF0002-2.jpg

I would certainly do it again!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
etisdale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowilly View Post
I had a similar issue. I racked to a secondary, waited to get near finishing gravity, then I added 2t knox gelatin dissolved in 1c water for 30 min, then brought to 180 degrees- I let mine cool, a bit, then stirred it into my beer. Wait three days and you should be ready to bottle.
I hope I can achieve the same results.

Was that 2 tsp or 2 tbsp gelatin?

Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
mowilly
Recipes 

I hope it works as well for you, too. It's 2 tsp. Also, I didn't mention it's unflavored gelatin. I think it's usually used for making fruit preserves? Not sure. Let me know how it turns out!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
sambogi76
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowilly View Post

Here's the before:
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/DSCF0003.jpg

And the after:
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...DSCF0002-2.jpg

I would certainly do it again!
I do this with all of my beers I ferment generally for a week and secondary with the unflavored gelatin for another week then bottle. When i bottle it is pretty clear then 2 weeks in the bottle it is crystal clear with a very very thin amount of sediment. And the sediment seems to be a bit more solid so it doesnt mix easily with the beer when your pouring it. I dont use any other floccing agents.
good luck!

Old 10-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
etisdale
Recipes 

Just an update. Unfortunately, this technique did not work for me.

I used some gelatin (100 bloom type B) I picked up from my local brew store. I followed the instructions on the package, which called for dissolving 1 tbsp gelatin in 1 cup of water. I heated the solution to about 175 F, and when cooled, added to my beer in a secondary fermenter.

If there was a change in clarity, I could not tell. Since the beer tasted fine, I just went ahead and bottled (after about 6 days). Cloudy beer is better than no beer!

P.S. I did pick up some isinglass a few days after the gelatin treatment. I was unable to dissolve it after about 15 mins of constant stirring, so I skipped the isinglass treatment.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Gelatin is pretty much only effective on yeast (which time and cold will generally settle as well as gelatin anyway).

If you need to remove haze I would recommend PVPP and/or silica gel.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FYI: tsp is teaspoon and TBS is tablespoon...

I remove 2C (1 pint) of beer from the fermenter and heat it on the stove adding 1 TBS of gelatin finings from the HBS.

I heat it enough to dissolve then pour it the fermenter and place it in the cold. In this case outside overnight. The coldness coalgulates it so it works better.

From what I've read, boiling gelatin (not Jell-O) breaks it down to where it isn't effective.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I'm confused...except what looks like the remains of a krauzen ring in the first picture, that beer looks plenty clear to me.

I have never need to use finnings after boil day....I leave my beer in primary for a month, leave plenty of time to bottle condition and leave my beer iin the fridge for a week, and my beer is pristine. In fact it has been called "Jewel like" by judges, and that's without adding geletin or anything else.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm confused...except what looks like the remains of a krauzen ring in the first picture, that beer looks plenty clear to me.

I have never need to use finnings after boil day....I leave my beer in primary for a month, leave plenty of time to bottle condition and leave my beer iin the fridge for a week, and my beer is pristine. In fact it has been called "Jewel like" by judges, and that's without adding geletin or anything else.
I guess that makes you a "rough in the jewel"???

Where were all these "jewels" when I come to town??

Quick Reply