New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Any Disadvantages in using the 'Hop Tea' Technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Endovelico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Noone? I'd think there would be an easy answer for this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recently experimented with making a hop tea for my Indian Brown Ale (OG 1.062, 60 IBU) that's conditioning at the moment. I read the other threads on hop tea, which indicated that 170F is the optimal temperature to extract maximum aroma with minimal bitterness.

So, I bought a french coffee press and followed the instructions. I boiling 8 cups of filtered water (the size of the coffee press), let it cool to 175F, and poured it into the coffee press. I then added 0.2 ounces of Casade hop pellets and let it sit for ~30 minutes. I then extracted the hop tea.

The tea was very aromatic (floral like) and had a very slight bitterness. It was a light green color and had tiny hop particles floating around the solution. I asked my girlfriend to taste it and she thought it tasted like unsweetened Earl Grey tea.

I added the cooled tea to my primary, along with gelatin to clear the tiny hop particles. It's cold crashing (50F) right now, but I'll give it a taste in a few more days when I rack.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Hop utilization maxes out around 90-100 IBU, so if you make a hop tea for bittering or do a small boil, you limit the IBUs of the final batch to a much lower level. As an example, 90 IBU in 1.5 gallons diluted to 5.5 gallons is 24 IBU.

If you can only do small boils, you can do late extract additions AND bitter your makeup water ahead of time.

My current batch of Porter, I boiled an ounce of Nuggett in 2 quarts of water for 5 minutes for aroma extraction. The hops then went into the boil for 60 minutes for bittering. I cooled the tea and added it to the fermenter. Only day 4 at this time.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #14
Endovelico
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Hop utilization maxes out around 90-100 IBU, so if you make a hop tea for bittering or do a small boil, you limit the IBUs of the final batch to a much lower level. As an example, 90 IBU in 1.5 gallons diluted to 5.5 gallons is 24 IBU.

If you can only do small boils, you can do late extract additions AND bitter your makeup water ahead of time.

My current batch of Porter, I boiled an ounce of Nuggett in 2 quarts of water for 5 minutes for aroma extraction. The hops then went into the boil for 60 minutes for bittering. I cooled the tea and added it to the fermenter. Only day 4 at this time.
So, i can use Hop tea for bitterness also right? (Presuming i'm boiling it like i would otherwise do in the wort.) Thats really what i want to know, I'm getting conflicting responses on this and need to know if this is doable and relliable.

I do know the theoretical limitations; My plan would be to boil X gallons for the bittering tea (maxing out the IBU's) and a wort boil of X gallons. So the estimated IBU would be around 45-50, which is perfect for the English IPA, i'm thinking of brewing.

Last edited by Endovelico; 10-22-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
MrShake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That seems like a lot of extra work when all you need to do is add your hops during the boil.... I'm curious what benefit you see in this.

MrShake - Top Hat Brewery

Project Links: Electric HERMS | Wet Bar

Primary - Air
On Commercial Tap - Sam Adam's Octoberfest
On Tap 2 - Air
On Tap 3 - Air
On Tap 4 - Easy English Mild
On Tap 5 - Air

Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
Endovelico
Recipes 

Well, i'm stuck with partial boils for now and so my only other option would be the late additions of malt extract.

The problem is, i'm having a bit of a hard time calculating the estimated IBU's of the wort using the late addition, and i don't want to get the IBU's wrong. That's the main reason.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #17
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShake View Post
That seems like a lot of extra work when all you need to do is add your hops during the boil.... I'm curious what benefit you see in this.
The benefit is an increased hop aroma that you can't achieve during the boil since the more volatile aroma oils are evaporated/decomposed at boiling temperatures.

The two options for achieving a strong hop aroma are (1) dry hopping or (2) hop tea. In my experience, dry hopping doesn't extract nearly as much aroma as making a hop tea does at 170F. Also, dry hopping results in a loss of wort due to hop expansion and more vegetal flavors. The vegetal flavors mellow out over time, but I don't have time!

Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Endovelico
Recipes 

I think he was refering to the bittering water method.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #19
Donthoseme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default it's not that good

I've done this to a few IPA's, DIPA's, and Barleywines i've made and i didn't like it. Your much better off with dry hopping for great aroma. I mean it's much much better than hop tea from what i've done. I would boil longer for extra bitterness, add a little extra durring the last 15 minuets for flavor, or dry hop for aroma. The hop tea has added little aroma and added the risk of contamination, oxidation, and clogges the dip tube in the keg a lot more than dry hopping.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #20
hammacks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endovelico View Post
Well, i'm stuck with partial boils for now and so my only other option would be the late additions of malt extract.

The problem is, i'm having a bit of a hard time calculating the estimated IBU's of the wort using the late addition, and i don't want to get the IBU's wrong. That's the main reason.
I believe you shouldn't have a problem doing this in Beersmith.

Quick Reply