Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Any Disadvantages in using the 'Hop Tea' Technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
Endovelico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any Disadvantages in using the 'Hop Tea' Technique?

I've been reading about this tecnique because i feel it will help me hit the desired IBU easier than using the late malt additions.

However from what i read, theres really not alot feedback / testimonies on partial brewers using this technique, which leads me to the question: Is it popular among partial brewers? Is there any obvious disadvantage to using this method, that i'm missing?

And on a side note: If im brewing extract, since the wort is sanitized after 15-20 min into the boil, and since theres no hops in the wort... There really isn't a reason for me to boil the full hour is there?

I know it's probably a stupid question, it's just that when you're a noob, you feel the need to have every step validated by the experts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
Endovelico
Recipes 

And i can't believe i posted in the wrong sub-forum AGAIN.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #3
emoutal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't ever tried the hop tea, but from what i've read, it is mostly used to extract the hop aroma and flavour, not bitterness (IBUs). Hops need to be boiled to isomerize the bitter resins.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I haven't tried it yet but I've been thinking about it. I think it should be used to replace aroma hop additions though and not necessarily bittering additions. From what I've read you still need to calculate your bittering based on boil time.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
Endovelico
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoutal View Post
I haven't ever tried the hop tea, but from what i've read, it is mostly used to extract the hop aroma and flavour, not bitterness (IBUs). Hops need to be boiled to isomerize the bitter resins.
Yes, but if you boil the hops normally in clear water as you would in a regular wort wouldn't you get the necessary IBU's out aswell?

Wouldn't it also be easier to max out to the 90 IBU limit?

Off-topic: If possible, could a Moderator move this to the Beginners sub-forum?.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 AM   #6
Endovelico
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83 View Post
I haven't tried it yet but I've been thinking about it. I think it should be used to replace aroma hop additions though and not necessarily bittering additions. From what I've read you still need to calculate your bittering based on boil time.
Yeah, what i meant is boiling the hops the same way you would do in a normal wort.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
emoutal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm pretty sure you need the sugars in the malt in order to extract the bitterness. What you can do is add about half the extract at the beginning and then adding the rest during the last 10-15 mins. This is assuming you are doing a partial boil.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:23 AM   #8
Endovelico
Recipes 

Quote:
i'm pretty sure you need the sugars in the malt in order to extract the bitterness. What you can do is add about half the extract at the beginning and then adding the rest during the last 10-15 mins. This is assuming you are doing a partial boil.
See, i did not know this. I guess i got my hopes up with this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/hop-...08/index3.html and this post in particular:

Quote:
If you are limited in your boil size, the simple thing to do is prepare a couple gallons of pre-bittered cooling water the night before. A half ounce of 12% Chinook in 1.5 gallons for 30 minutes will hit 90 IBU.
Is this wrong, or am i just reading it the wrong way?

Also, in the Beersmith program, if you do the IBU calculations for a 1.000 (no sugars... right?) Gravity it will turn out a higher IBU extraction than in a wort with higher gravity.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 AM   #9
emoutal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this is beyond my knowledge. I don't have much experience and I was just repeating what I have read.

I'm sure someone else around here will be able to answer

Old 10-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #10
Endovelico
Recipes 

Quote:
this is beyond my knowledge. I don't have much experience and I was just repeating what I have read.

I'm sure someone else around here will be able to answer
Ok, thank you for your time anyway.

Quick Reply