Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Any Baltimoreans using Tap Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
CallMeZoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Any Baltimoreans using Tap Water?

Just curious if anyone from Baltimore is using city tap water for brewing -- how does the water affect on the quality/taste of the beer?

I usually just buy several 1-gallon jugs of water from the supermarket but this adds to my costs and can be a pain in the butt to transport. I have a faucet-mounted PUR filter and a filtered water line in my refrigerator, but both are painfully slow and waiting for 5-6 gallons would be torturous.

Tap water would be excellent but I only brew a few times per year and I don't want to risk an entire batch experimenting with it.

Anybody tried using the water here? Yay or nay?

Thanks,
chris.

P.S. Has anyone ever tried hooking up some tubing to a refrigerator door water dispenser and using this as the primary water source in brewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Depends on where exactly you're brewing from. I've heard the city water is pretty decent, but I can't confirm.

I was in White Marsh and exclusively used tap water. Now I live up in Joppa (only 8 miles away) and my water sucks bad. Even using a Pur filter, I can't make light colored beers without them tasting funky. Dark beer = no problem.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Hey i use to brew a lot in the 80s and 90s using Baltimore tap water. I just returned to brewing and used Baltos tap water last week(haven't tasted). I think it is very good. Years ago it was rated as one of the best municipal drinking supplies. I have noticed that in periods of dought( a few years back) they had to add more chlorine. I wasn't brewing during this time so don't know how it affected the beer. My vote is to use it out of the tap. Charlie

Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Will b
Recipes 

I live in Baltimore and have only used bottle water so far, but my home brew store (MD homebrew, in Columbia) recomended using city water.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Depends on what the PPM of crack in the water is in your part of the city.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
joebou4860

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always thought that the proper name for people from baltimore was baltimorons
heh. go fig

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
jezter6
Recipes 

Now Evan! You should know that crack is the LEAST of Baltimore's problems.

We are more worried about what wierd sheite is floating in the harbor, or how we can up our murder rate. Personally, using city water, I'd be more afraid of gonorrhea than anything else.

Just keep chanting..."We're number 1!" - in violent crime, gonorrhea, and pregnant strippers.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
CallMeZoot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the, um, interesting input!

For those of you who use tap water -- do you boil it first or use it straight from the tap?

Obviously the water in the wort gets boiled, but I do small batches on my stove so I end up using 3-4 gallons of additional water to top off the fermenter. Is it ok to use this straight from the tap, or should I boil it first?

Also, should I re-sanitize my stockpot after a pregnant stripper drops her crackpipe in it, or will the gonorrhea come out in the boil?

chris.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
adx

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Hell I use DC city water and it's been OK. It gets pumped out of the Potomac, load it up with cholarmine to kill the nasties and then jackup the pH so they don't rot out the 120 year old pipes.

Baltimore can't be any worse...unless they use water from Dundalk.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
jezter6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
Thanks to everyone for the, um, interesting input!

For those of you who use tap water -- do you boil it first or use it straight from the tap?

Obviously the water in the wort gets boiled, but I do small batches on my stove so I end up using 3-4 gallons of additional water to top off the fermenter. Is it ok to use this straight from the tap, or should I boil it first?

Also, should I re-sanitize my stockpot after a pregnant stripper drops her crackpipe in it, or will the gonorrhea come out in the boil?

chris.
Again, not sure if white marsh is city water or not, but I never bothered boiling first.

And yes, re-san the stockpot, however the gonorrhea will not come out in a boil or with san, you should really think about using direct torch heat directly to the infected surface area to remove it.

And by infected surface area, I don't mean the pot.

Dry hop the brew with your pot.

Quick Reply