New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Another HERMS/RIMS question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
movet22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Another HERMS/RIMS question

So, as I am building my brewery, I have been exploring the possible HERMS or RIMS application. I am running into some confusion that I am hoping to have cleared up by the wise sages of HBT

If I am using a rubbermaid MLT, is HERMS/RIMS even worth the time and money to add one? Or is a HERMS/RIMS system best utilized for a rig that has a stainless MLT that needs to be continuously heated?

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

HERMS and RIMS are two different things. In your application, a HERMS rig would be more beneficial to you since you don't want to directly fire you mash. You wouldn't see a whole lot of upsides from it, but it may cut down and hot/cool spots in your mash since you're continuousy recirculating through your heat exchanger.

In the end, I think you'll like having a controlled temp. The nice thing about using a cooler, is you only need to have two burners on a single tier stand. And only one of those burners needs to be controlled. The only downfall to not having a heated MLT is that it takes a bit longer to brew. You would need to heat your strike water in your boil kettle or HLT, then transfer it. I have a HERMS rig, but I also have a burner under my mash so that I can heat my strike water.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can also look into the option of a RIMS tube. Just do a search here and you will see some examples.

Quick Reply