New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Another cake walk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Default Another cake walk

I kegged the Old Dog Brown this morning and pitched the Bent Rod Rye on the cake about 1 p.m. The Old Dog fermented in 18 hours & the BRR working already, even though I chilled the wort to 65F. The temperature is back up to 73F, so I stuck a bottle of ice on top of the fermentor to keep the temperature from going higher.

Since I realized two weeks ago that my fermentation buckets fit in the IceCube, I'll be able to dump some cold water on it should the yeast get too happy. And if it does blow, most of the foam should be contained. I stuck a pitcher over the airlock, just in case.

The only downside is looking back at my notes I had planned on 1/2 oz. of Columbus pellets for bittering and I used a full ounce. The chinook was 12.5% AA as well. Maybe I have a Rye ESB.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 07-11-2006 at 10:05 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 02:54 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rye Knot? (Read as "Why Not?" )

Old 07-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

hehe, 1oz instead of .5 eh? I'm sure it'll not be all that bad, even maybe good. I had a screwed up batch of beer I kinda just thought up and made. Diddn't turn out too good. Anarchy Brewing Rocks but sometimes has it's casualties. Now I make sure to plug in my recepies into a calculator before just haphazardly going for it. 4.5% beer with 122IBU's Check out this link, hehehe... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9096

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Quick Reply