New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Amount of Raspberries for Raz Wheat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Amount of Raspberries for Raz Wheat?

It's a five gallon batch of Wheat Beer and I plan to let it sit in primary for about five days, move to secondary, add 3 lbs. of raspberries, and let it sit for about 10 - 11 days before bottling.

Is this a pretty fair amount? I've looked at other recipes and this seems ok. I mean, I definitely want the taste to come through, but not be extremely overpowering.

Also, is there a big difference between using frozen vs. fresh raspberries? Quality of taste, etc.?

On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Clonefarmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't done a wheat but I have done a chocolate stout with frozen raspberries. They are very strong I used about two and a half pounds for 5 gallons and it was very tart and dominated the flavor profile. It mellowed a bit overtime but was still very strong. Be careful raspberries are potent!

As far as I know using frozen is actually better because the freezing process breaks down the cell walls.

Last edited by Clonefarmer; 03-26-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
dangerbrew
Recipes 

I ended up using just over 1 pound. I bottled it today. We'll see how it turns out in two weeks...

On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #4
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The other thing you can use is one can of Oregon puree, that stuff is good quality and adds a great flavor to the beer. That, and it is the most sanitary as that stuff is pasteurized in the can. Best to rack on top of it in the secondary though.

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

Old 04-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
dangerbrew
Recipes 

I tasted the sample yesterday and it seemed pretty good - you could definitely taste the raspberries, but it wasn't to an extreme extent. However, even if it would've gone off the deep end I'm still a big fan of beers that go big on fruit flavor, and if this one only serves as a barometer for the future, i'm probably going to go nuts with fruit flavored beer eventually. Vermont Pub & Brewery's "Forbidden Fruit" is one of my favorite examples of this working out exceptionally well. Too bad its too strong to be served in pints!

Still, overall I think it's going to shape up to be a fine summer brew.

Quick Reply