Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Ambient/Spontaneous Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 01:40 AM   #11
eviljafar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I hope there's not a dead bird or squirrel in there when you check on it next!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #12
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljafar
I hope there's not a dead bird or squirrel in there when you check on it next!
Hopefully the cheesecloth(firmly attached) will keep them out - but I hope so too. I was actually more concerned with rain - if it rains I'll drive down there - but that would drop the gravity quite a bit I imagine.

Nyxator - I don't think I will blend it with fruit - I may blend it with other pLambic( to make a Gueze) or just bottle unblended.

Last edited by landhoney; 11-07-2007 at 01:58 AM.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:11 AM   #13
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

That's awesome landhoney! I would love to do this myself and have toyed with the idea for a number of years. My problem is that I don't live anywhere near a place where I think I could get some viable airborne yeast suitable for making a true lambic style beer. I live 12 floors above Interstate 5.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #14
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Nothing exciting, but I took a pic today. A coworker suggested putting it in a crate to prevent any critters from knocking it over. Its covered with a T-shirt too, but I took it off for the picture. Hopefully I'll have a picture of krausen to post in a few days.
dsc_00030001_1.jpg

Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Looking good, man. Making me miss my home in the Appalachians. Lots of apple orchards in the area, nice clean air.. ummmmm.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #17
beenjammin
Recipes 

perhaps this is a stupid question and i'm sure i'll be put in my place if it is....but wouldn't adding crushed apples from the orchard to the cooled wort in the primary be a simpler way to get wild yeast to ferment, rather than hoping that airbourne yeast happen to fall in? that's how most people i know around here make wine...

Old 11-08-2007, 12:49 AM   #18
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenjammin
perhaps this is a stupid question and i'm sure i'll be put in my place if it is....but wouldn't adding crushed apples from the orchard to the cooled wort in the primary be a simpler way to get wild yeast to ferment, rather than hoping that airbourne yeast happen to fall in? that's how most people i know around here make wine...
Not a stupid question at all. I'm hoping to get wild yeast from all over, not just from the apples. Someone told me that they make cider using the yeast just on the apples and that its very 'ordinary' and clean. I'm hoping for sour and funk. I'll be the first to tell you I don't know what's going to happen. The only thing I hope is that if it doesn't work, it won't need to be dumped and I can pitch some store bought 'wild yeast'. As I understand it the real Lambic producers liked the fact that there were orchards around, so I hope to have similar success.
Also, hopefully I'll talk to the couple that won the sour beer category last year with an 'ambient ale' in couple weeks, and I'll post their techniques if they share them with me.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #19
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

hmmm. sounds fun. Not sure of the quality of biologicals in my neck of the woods, though - wheat fields instead of orchards. I can verify that there is some mold in the air though! (because it strung nasty white mold cobweb in the top of my Apfelwein fermenter...)

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #20
RedSun

Recipes 

Man, that's ridiculous/awesome. We have an apple orchard here, but it's a few hours away. Closest is pecans I think. I hope this works out for you, would be an awesome accomplishment.

[Primary and Secondary]
Test Your Might - (Amber Victory Ale)

[Bottled or Drinking]
Red Sun - (Kryptonian Red)
Usul - (American Honey Wheat)
Weirding Way - (American Honey Wheat)

Colossus - 50qt Mash Tun

Quick Reply