The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Ambient/Spontaneous Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #101
cjb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fair point - most of Cantillon's bugs probably reside in the barrels at this point. I also recall the story about the roof from the tour I took there.

But if anyone wants to capture their own yeast, it doesn't hurt to try! I was able to do it in my own backyard in a normal residential neighborhood in the city (albeit one with a few fruit trees on the block). I recently had another taste of the test beer I made with it - not sour at all, but it does taste somewhat "Belgian". Fairly similar to the Ardennes strain I recently used on another beer, in fact.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #102
TravisRichard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If anyone is going to try something like this I think it's extremely important to sanitize the living Christ out of your fermenter. I tried something like this in a growler with some extra wort left over from the boil. This was after lightly sanitizing it with Star-San. At first I thought I was on to something, but then realized that the yeast from a starter I had previously made in it had taken over and fermented it. If there is any trace of Saccharomyces already in your fermenter it will have a head start over any wild bugs, and likely be the dominant attenuator.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #103
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisRichard
If anyone is going to try something like this I think it's extremely important to sanitize the living Christ out of your fermenter. I tried something like this in a growler with some extra wort left over from the boil. This was after lightly sanitizing it with Star-San. At first I thought I was on to something, but then realized that the yeast from a starter I had previously made in it had taken over and fermented it. If there is any trace of Saccharomyces already in your fermenter it will have a head start over any wild bugs, and likely be the dominant attenuator.
It doesn't sound like your issue was lack of sanitation. Sounds like lack of cleaning.

And CJB, I wasn't trying to say people shouldn't try and catch their own, I encourage that. I was just exempting Cantillon as they don't capture much "wild" yeast any longer.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #104
TravisRichard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchunk View Post
It doesn't sound like your issue was lack of sanitation. Sounds like lack of cleaning.
Thanks for the condescension without any explanation. Very helpful. I cleaned it with soap and water, and there was no visible sediment left in the growler, btw.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #105
mendesm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Subscribed.

Awesome idea! I'm going to be doing this too.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #106
mloula
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

2.5 gallons of a 7.5 gallon batch went into a bucket covered with two paint filters left in my garage and it had action within two days. Very cool stuff! I brought it in from the garage so it will ferment at about 70. I took the paint filters off and installed an airlock. Hopefully that was the right thing to do. I'd hate to wreck my spontaneously fermented wort.

The other 5 gallons were pitched with WLP670.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #107
dougmaher434
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Spontaneously fermented beers

We were kind of just screwin' around with airborne yeast strains in our brewery. We took two different starters with DME in them and put one outside, near the sea in California and by a freeway, and one inside the brewery. We specialize in wild barrel-aged beers that usually turn out nicely tart. Rather then ruining a huge batch of beer, we checked on small starters to see what was happening. We don't separate or dedicate all of our equipment, except for fermentors to our brett beers, so we always have some of our bugs in all of our beers. Our IPAs, porters, and non-bretted saisons just to name a few sale so fast there really is no reason to separate equipment.

Anyway the two yeast starters were pretty sour, comparable to wild yeast strains we had built up from dregs and commercial wild yeast strains. The one outside was nice even though we are near a freeway. I say, just try it, if you don't want to ruin a batch just make a starter and if it tastes good then your beer will probably taste good too.

Quick Reply