The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Am I OK? rack to early?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 02:38 AM   #1
toddster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Am I OK? rack to early?

I am brewing an American Wheat style right now. It has a high OG of about 1.066. It had a very vigorous ferment in the primary for 3 1/2 days, using liquid yeast. Today was four full days. The action had slowed considerably, bubbling every 15 seconds or so and I racked it to the secondary. There was a lot of "gunk" on top. (Ale Yeast). Now that it is in the secondary, the action is still pretty slow. Glass carboy, a bubble every 15 seconds or so. Did I rack too early, if so will it work out? I wonder if racking it, lost all the yeast and there is not enough to finish fermenting. This is the second batch that I have done since 10 years ago.
Thanks for your help!

Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2005, 02:45 AM   #2
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Nope, your perfectly fine. I typically rack at 4-5 days. I just racked tonight after 5 days and probably had a bubble every 15 sec as well. I don't worry about it... If there is fermenting to do yeast is still suspended in the liquid.

They say it's best to wait until the krausen (top stuff) settles but it still is going to be fine. I've racked with a healthy layer on top to a secondary and it was just fine. Happen to be drinking one right now that was in this state in the primary.

Old 06-25-2005, 02:53 AM   #3
toddster
Recipes 

Default thanks

Yes the "Krausen" as you call it was pretty healthy. I guess that I was concerned because the OG was so high, and I thought that this is going to take for ever to ferment. thanks for the re-assurance!

Todd

Old 07-06-2005, 04:35 AM   #4
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I personally like getting my beer off the primary as soon as possible. I have done this for years and my Ales have turned out great . IMHO.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
Gordolordo
Recipes 

If you wait until all the gunk on top drops to the bottom you'll end up with a clearer batch. As that stuff falls it will pick up other sediment in suspension.

Now that you've done it though, it's no big deal. I usually wait for a little longer between bubbles before I rack to the secondary, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

When you transfer when the bubbles have slowed the batch is also less likely to get contaminated since the sugar content is lower by then.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudster
I personally like getting my beer off the primary as soon as possible. I have done this for years and my Ales have turned out great . IMHO.
Sudster, I did my first brew on Saturday (belgian white) and it has stopped bubbling until once every 20 seconds or so. And that's not even 2 full days of fermentation.

Should I plan to move to the secondary soon?

Old 07-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is the subject of moderate debate. I tend to leave the batch in the primary for 7-10 days, then rack to the secondary where it sits for 2-3 weeks. Many people rack after 3-4 days, others leave it in the primary for several weeks.

Choose whichever method fits your schedule best.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 07-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't have a problem leaving it in the primary for longer. I just thought I was supposed to get it into the secondary when the bubbling got to about the rate mine is now. I also thought that it took a while to get this slow (makes me question if mine is doing right ).

My worry is that something is wrong. But from what everyone says, this could be kind of normal.

Here's my thing: fermenting for two days now and the bubbles are 20+ seconds apart.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
Porter fan
Recipes 

Your fine, Some like to rack as soon as the fermantation slows too a small amount of the yeast working to get it off the setteld yeast for a cleaner over all flavor.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #10
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Personally, I'm a 'bubble counter'. I wait until the bubbles have slowed to 30 second intervals at minimum. 45-60 seconds is even better, IMO. Usually 3-6 days; in some instances I've gone as long as 7-10 days.

Quick Reply