Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Alternative Method for Freeze Concentration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmatic View Post
If you want to freeze a large batch, why don't you try freezing it in a bottling bucket, then just open the drain when your ready to seperate it. It might take awhile, but it might also be a lot less effort on your part
Sorry to revive a frozen thread, hehe. I am going to give this a shot with a stout and a bottling bucket tonight. We just got a load of snow so it will be cold enough to do this outside.

Any tips for using the bucket to freeze concentrate?

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox

Sorry to revive a frozen thread, hehe. I am going to give this a shot with a stout and a bottling bucket tonight. We just got a load of snow so it will be cold enough to do this outside.

Any tips for using the bucket to freeze concentrate?
No tips but let us know how it goes. I gotta a stout I'm thinking of doing some.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
calimainer
Recipes 

My issue with using the bottling bucket is the beer in the spigot will most likely freeze, which will make it hard to drain off the alcohol. If you have the option to use a bunch of empty milk jugs that would be the best option. I did that with a mead which went from 16% to somewhere in the mid 20s.

Another thing Stevo, and this is up to personal taste, but concentrating a stout would make a really thick beer. Stout is so thick that it might turn out like a milkshake.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimainer View Post
My issue with using the bottling bucket is the beer in the spigot will most likely freeze, which will make it hard to drain off the alcohol. If you have the option to use a bunch of empty milk jugs that would be the best option. I did that with a mead which went from 16% to somewhere in the mid 20s.

Another thing Stevo, and this is up to personal taste, but concentrating a stout would make a really thick beer. Stout is so thick that it might turn out like a milkshake.
My spigot did freeze, so draining there was not an option. And the whole reason I was interested in concentrating my stout is because it is not thick enough.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo2569 View Post
No tips but let us know how it goes. I gotta a stout I'm thinking of doing some.
Bottling bucket was easy. Uncapped bottles and slowly poured contents into bucket, then slapped the lid on and put it outside (~8F) overnight.

The next morning I broke up the ice with my mash paddle and scooped it out with a strainer. I let the strainer sit on the edge for a few minutes to drain the liquid. After one freeze overnight @ 8F, I removed 0.5gal of volume from the 3.75gal total. I would like to do a few more rounds of freeze and remove, until I have reduced the vol by about half I think.

The ice tasted sweet, and was slightly brown as you can see. I have not tasted my concentrated beverage yet.
20121219_181354.jpg   20121220_072219.jpg   20121220_072230.jpg  

Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimainer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
My spigot did freeze, so draining there was not an option. And the whole reason I was interested in concentrating my stout is because it is not thick enough.
Maybe use a hair dryer to heat up the spigot?

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So my eistout and apple jack have been through two overnight freezes.

This is not exactly accurate, but for estimation purposes, I used C1V1=C2V2 to determine the change in ABV:

C1(2gal)=(6%)(3.75gal) --> C1= 11.25% for the stout and ~20% for the applejack.

The stout is now sweet and thick alcohol burn and the applejack is nearly brandy. The flavor is excellent on both. Although, now I understand that freeze concentrating concentrates all flavors, even bad ones.

A bucket and a fine mesh strainer, outside when it is cold enough, is a fantastically easy way to do this.

Thanks for the ideas, I think this will now become a regular thing.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Did this once with an applewine, as suggested earlier, I froze a couple 2 liter soda bottles for a few days in the freezer, then simply uncap and invert over a funnel draining to a bottle, after twenty minutes or so the ice and slush left in the bottle is clear and you have the "fortified" liquid drained into the bottle. I agree, all good and bad flavors are concentrated, but after a couple years on the basement shelf, this applejack brandy has improved as I curiously take a nip every 6 months or so.

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
edsrockin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

i wonder .... since gallon jugs tend to be cheap and the ice tends to freeze on top of the beer/wort, why not just sanitize the bottom of the jug used to freeze and slice/punch a hole in the bottom of it? then the liquid would flow out and the ice would remain. then you can you use the jugs as a funnel or toss/recycle them. just a thought.

hoppy brewing

Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
So my eistout and apple jack have been through two overnight freezes.

This is not exactly accurate, but for estimation purposes, I used C1V1=C2V2 to determine the change in ABV:

C1(2gal)=(6%)(3.75gal) --> C1= 11.25% for the stout and ~20% for the applejack.

The stout is now sweet and thick alcohol burn and the applejack is nearly brandy. The flavor is excellent on both. Although, now I understand that freeze concentrating concentrates all flavors, even bad ones.

A bucket and a fine mesh strainer, outside when it is cold enough, is a fantastically easy way to do this.

Thanks for the ideas, I think this will now become a regular thing.
Your alcohol percents might be off. I remember reading somewhere that the concentration of alcohol possible is related to how cold the temperature gets rather than volume removed.
I think the 2 liter bottle method is easy if you are using a freezer to freeze the beverage, but there are lots of ways to do it that work.

Quick Reply