Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Alternative Cooling Methods

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #21
One_of_4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How about adding a connection below the sink? Most faucets are connected with flexible lines (braided or plastic). Close the isolation valve, attach Tee and second valve and adapter, re-attach flexible line.

Just an idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #22
Fuse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about replacing a tap with a threaded one and replace the original when you move? Landlord wouldn't even know. And you have a tap to take with you.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #23
adixon3
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Cool your wort in the tub and that way it doesn't make a mess because the water goes right down the drain

Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #24
chicken-n-ham
Recipes 

I'm in the same boat, I have faucets that wont accept any type of screw on adapter.

It's not very efficient, but here's what I do as a work around. I put an old bottling bucket on my kitchen counter and fill it with ice water. I slide the chiller tubing onto the bottling bucket's spigot and put the kettle on the floor. I use another pot on the floor to collect the waste water. Gravity feeds the ice water through the chiller, though its much slower than running a faucet.

As I said, it's not very efficient, but it was the best idea I could come up with and it's quicker (I'd guess maybe 30 - 40 minutes) than an ice bath. It seems to chill pretty quickly at first, but slows as the wort temp gets below 100 or so.

Id love to hear other ideas too, as rapidly chilling is the one part of my process that i feel is really inadequate.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #25
RogerMcAllen
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbigda View Post
not necessarily true. newer kitchen faucets with pullout combination spray heads won't work. bathroom faucet are more likely to work but can also have integrated heads
If it is a pull out combination, then the flexible hose should screw onto the handle. Adapt the cooling line to that.

This connection should be hand tightened with a gasket, so it is an easy changeout with no tools. As a bonus, these are usually a lot easier to get off than the aerator.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I cannot not connect a wort chiller to my kitchen or bathroom sink either, so the few times I brew inside (in the winter), I have to run a 100+ foot hose from the faucet on side of the house around the house and in the kitchen window, then a second hose to the sink or back outside. Would be easier to just carry the brewpot outside, but carrying 6+ gallons of sloshing hot liquid is not my cup of tea.

Member of the Metro South Homebrew League (Mash-Holes) - Weymouth, MA

Primary - 1774 Porter
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - Amber Waves of Grain, Gourd O' Plenty
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

Old 03-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #27
bmbigda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMcAllen

If it is a pull out combination, then the flexible hose should screw onto the handle. Adapt the cooling line to that.

This connection should be hand tightened with a gasket, so it is an easy changeout with no tools. As a bonus, these are usually a lot easier to get off than the aerator.
i'm interested to hear more about this. my kitchen sink faucet (brand spankin new) has a pull out sprayer combination. like you mentioned, the hose easily unscrews from the spray head. the fitting at the end of the hose is unlike anything i've seen before. the end of it is platic, with a ring gasket seated inside a cutout. it looks similar to a quick disconnect, but is threaded. further internet research leads me to believe this is a custom fitting used by the faucet manufacturer, Delta.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but perhaps the OP has a similar setup? I will start a new thread and link this over.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #28
RogerMcAllen
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbigda View Post
i'm interested to hear more about this. my kitchen sink faucet (brand spankin new) has a pull out sprayer combination. like you mentioned, the hose easily unscrews from the spray head. the fitting at the end of the hose is unlike anything i've seen before. the end of it is platic, with a ring gasket seated inside a cutout. it looks similar to a quick disconnect, but is threaded. further internet research leads me to believe this is a custom fitting used by the faucet manufacturer, Delta.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but perhaps the OP has a similar setup? I will start a new thread and link this over.
DO NOT TRY TO FORCE ANTYING TO WORK WITH THE THREADS. A proprietary fitting isn't a deal breaker since this isn't a high pressure connection. Buy 2 hose clamps and 3" of tubing that you can fit over the outside of the sink line and get creative adapting down to the size of your chiller line.

*If you do this, I caution you to somehow secure the faucet line so that your frankenfitting is always visible in the sink and covered with something like an upside down tupperware so that it if fails spectacularly the only mess is in the sink. Also watch out for the sink line trying to pull itself back under the sink.

I actually just looked at my sink (newish house where I haven't brewed yet), and I will have the exact same problem. I will try it out this weekend and I'll report back with what I find.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #29
mloster
Recipes 

I second filling the tub with cold water at first to get it down to 120º or so. Then fill it up again with cold water and add ice to get it down to your desired pitching temp. Works for me in my apartment.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #30
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloster View Post
I second filling the tub with cold water at first to get it down to 120º or so. Then fill it up again with cold water and add ice to get it down to your desired pitching temp. Works for me in my apartment.
X2

What about no-chill?

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Quick Reply