Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Alternative Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #131
TheBreweryUnderground
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think this is what I read about it, I don't think I'd go all out with slate but if I could find some space it would be cool. I'm still worried about big bugs though, I feel like they'd smell all that sugar and couldn't help themselves. An apartment in the city already has too many bugs and other pests I worry about even with a closed fermentor.

http://byo.com/stories/techniques/ar...ents-mr-wizard

http://byo.com/stories/projects-and-...enter-projects

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #132
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 118

If the OP never tried brewing, bottling, chilling, with more "traditional" methods, how can he be sure that his methods make no difference?
Brew a beer with a 60 min boil and hops in the boil, brew the same beer with the hop tea, and a twenty minute boil. Let some other people try them side by side and then tell me that it makes no difference.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #133
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Eh. To each his own, I guess, but make no mistake...the OP is not "myth busting", he is simply taking shortcuts (some half baked) for the sake of time/easiness as the expense of the quality of the finished product. I'm sure the beer is drinkable, but I'd love to see some objective scoring of these brews.

Brewing and its standard practices have been around for hundreds of years. Brew science is extensive and has been studied exhaustively. There are principles behind brewing, not just arbitrary dogma. These shortcuts just skip over steps that are required to produce top notch beer.

Take a TV dinner approach to brewing, and that's about the quality you're going to end up with. Good enough for some, I guess.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #134
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had wild yeast take a batch a while back. I'd pay a Belgian, or anybody else, to watch em' try and gag a pint of that puke-cider. I think in some cases at least, like Samuel Smith with their Yorkshire squares, open fermentation isn't intended to be an opening for wild yeast.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #135
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I wild open fermented a cider last fall and it turned out good but a little too sweet, so I let it go longer and it was too dry and pretty much vinegar. Was still great for cooking and salads after that. A brewery in Chile I just toured had a batch go bad and they accidentally bottled it, when they first tried it it was awful but for some reason they left it sitting around to age and when I tried it it was great. It even performed well in competition, probably due to all the wild yeast off of grapes grown in the area. But I have yet to see any actual open fermentation first hand.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #136
nberk
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just for clarification:
Open fermentation and Spontaneous fermentation are not the same thing.

There are numerous breweries that ferment in open topped fermenters that are fermented with traditional brewers yeast only. Anchor Steam comes to mind. They harvest and pitch their own yeast each time.

Here's a link to a Brewing TV episode where they do an open fermentation:

Spontaneous fermentation as practiced by brewers of traditional lambic beers involves exposing the wort to the air and then letting fermentation begin on its own. This seems to be what most people are referring to in this thread.

Here's a link from Brewing TV about coolships and spontaneous fermentation:

Of course, many of the organisms that inoculate lambic come from within the brewery (on the walls, rafters, etc) rather than coming in from the air floating in from outside.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #137
RobbyBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nberk View Post
Just for clarification:
Open fermentation and Spontaneous fermentation are not the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nberk View Post
Here's a link to a Brewing TV episode where they do an open fermentation: Brewing TV - Episode 4: Open Fermentation on Vimeo
Right on. "Wild" and "Open" are not the same thing.

I brewed an "open" Belgian pale ale per the method shown in the Brewing TV video above. Leaving it totally uncovered made me a bit nervous, but in the end there were no infections, no "wild" flavors, no real ill effects to speak of. I did find a bug in the bucket after racking off. He looked totally wasted, but he must have been a lightweight because he didn't seem to have drank that much.

The "open" version of this beer had a much more rustic phenol profile compared to its smoother "closed" counterpart. Depending on what you're going for, this can be a really good way to play with flavor.

I don't want to relax. I'm too worried. But I will drink that homebrew.
fastenova Likes This 
Old 01-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #138
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

How is this abortion still in progress? Good lord there is a lot of bad information and ideas in here. This thread is where good beer goes to die.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #139
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
How is this abortion still in progress? Good lord there is a lot of bad information and ideas in here. This thread is where good beer goes to die.
I was wondering the same thing. The OP's long gone from it.

I guess folks don't get the idea that in forums, if you want a thread to die, don't keep posting in it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #140
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6201 Times on 5392 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
if you want a thread to die, don't keep posting in it.
Irony?

Quick Reply