New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Alternative Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #111
squirrelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Perhaps that's subjective, but as the most decorated homebrewer in history, someone with a firm background in microbiology, and one who started his own brewery, I tend to pay attention to what he says.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #112
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5730 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Interesting; this thread starts off with "don't do anything the experts say to do" and ends with "do whatever jamil says to do"

Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #113
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

What better retort for such an argument? Jamil says himself he is a "lazy brewer," and a lot of the practices he advises are not what was preached 10 years ago. That is the point I am trying to make. Why not take the extensive research he and other experts have put to the test and experiment for yourself? The only way you will figure out what best works for you is to try a couple different things throughout your brew day and then do a side by side blind taste. Figure out which beer is really better with which practice. I don't care if my brew day is 10 hours long so long as I'm making beer that will get good feedback, and perhaps some hardware.

I plan on doing this tomorrow. I'm brewing my house beer, a west coast IPA, one batch will be cooled with my conventional whirlpool and the other won't be cooled at all. Once it's all said and done I will do a side by side and see which beer I can detect the least amount of sulfides in and which comes out cleaner. Who knows, I may surprise myself and learn chilling is not needed, but I seriously doubt it

Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #114
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelly View Post
Huh, well while that may work for some brewers I am not gutsy enough to try it. I'll stick with jamil's advice, for after all he is the homebrewing pope.
Quote:
Why not take the extensive research he and other experts have put to the test and experiment for yourself? The only way you will figure out what best works for you is to try a couple different things throughout your brew day and then do a side by side blind taste.
You seem to be contradicting yourself. If you say you should try things for yourself, which I completely agree with, then why does it matter so much what JZ says?

Quote:
Once it's all said and done I will do a side by side and see which beer I can detect the least amount of sulfides in and which comes out cleaner. Who knows, I may surprise myself and learn chilling is not needed, but I seriously doubt it
It sounds as though you've already made up your mind about no-chill without even trying it.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #115
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
You seem to be contradicting yourself. If you say you should try things for yourself, which I completely agree with, then why does it matter so much what JZ says?
To me, its not a contradiction to say that you should try things on your own while still listening to what others say. Learning is a blend of trying things yourself and listening to what others have to say.

I mean, there's a reason that even the most experimental of us don't go out and put water in our gas tank to see if our car will run on it.

Anyways, my point is that there's a spectrum between "try everything yourself" and "learn from others" and no one is all one or the other. We're just at varying points on that spectrum.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #116
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Yes but to say you're not gutsy enough to try it then later say "you simply have to try things for yourself" is a contradiction.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #117
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven
Yes but to say you're not gutsy enough to try it then later say "you simply have to try things for yourself" is a contradiction.
Or he just thinks done things need to be tried and others don't. If you think there has to be a contradiction there, so be it. I don't agree, and I'm ok with that.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #118
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote from OP-

"A lot of people would like a shorter, easier brew day when it comes to AG. I'm presenting some valid shortcuts. I enjoy brewing, too, but not if it is in the traditional time frame. I think a lot of processes are overdone. Just relax and make it simple, if the end result is acceptable."

I don’t disagree with whether or not the OP is brewing by his own words "acceptable beers" but based on the practices been used I would be surprised if the OP can repeat any of them. Not a dig just not what I'm looking for and should be clearly stated for new brewers. If brewing “acceptable beers” as fast as possible is your thing then you has some good points but not sure any “myth busting “is going on. I also can’t imagine you will get better hop utilization out of hops boiled for 2-3 minutes verses hops boiled for 60-90 min?? I may be wrong but I think "acceptable beers” says it all. I for one did not invest a small fortune in time and equipment to brew acceptable non-repeatable beers.

If it works for you and your happy with the results that all that maters

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA
Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #119
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I think that you would be risking not boiling off enough DMS with only a 20 min boil. Take the time and do it right yo!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #120
Whut
.--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.- . . .--. / ..- .--.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1614 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 8530

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
I don’t disagree with whether or not the OP is brewing by his own words "acceptable beers" but based on the practices been used I would be surprised if the OP can repeat any of them. Not a dig just not what I'm looking for and should be clearly stated for new brewers. If brewing “acceptable beers” as fast as possible is your thing then you has some good points but not sure any “myth busting “is going on. I also can’t imagine you will get better hop utilization out of hops boiled for 2-3 minutes verses hops boiled for 60-90 min?? I may be wrong but I think "acceptable beers” says it all. I for one did not invest a small fortune in time and equipment to brew acceptable non-repeatable beers.
If it works for you and your happy with the results that all that maters
That you did and it's stunning!

Quick Reply