Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Altering flavor intensity with start/end volume?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
butterpants's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 888
Liked 92 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Altering flavor intensity with start/end volume?

Quick thought I was pondering last night.... here's how it came about:

Currently I do full boil extract/partial mash batches. I live at 7000' and the altitude screws with my boiling temp and boil-off. When I'm experimenting sometimes I'll have 6 gallons of finished brew when the recipie was intended for 5....I can only assume that this is detrimental to my flavor intensity as there's an extra gallon of water for the same flavor components. Sounds logical. I've yet to make 2 identical batches and test my hypothesis varying only the boil volume though I'm sure someone has...

Looking for any feedback on varying recipie inital volume but with a standard amount of ingredients basically. While I'm not into watered down beer, the prospect of a flavor explosion sounds good. I can see there would be limitations due to OG and that you're not getting a more complex flavor per se, just more of the original. Thoughts?

__________________
butterpants is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,142
Liked 472 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Ideally you need to zero in on your boil off rate so you can duplicate a batch. It's not the altitude because that doesn't change, it's your process. There are plenty of high altitude brewers out here that don't have this issue.

Take a pre-measured volume of water and boil it in the area you brew and regulate your flame to be consistent. Boil an hour and measure the finished volume. this is now your boil off rate over 60 minutes. I am aware that depending on ambient temperature and humidity there is a little variable but not gallons.

Since you are doing partial mash you also need to account for grain absorption as well which is typically .12 gallons per pound. Make a calibrated measuring stick that you can place in the kettle to be sure you are using whatever pre-boil volume you need to achieve your post boil volume based on your boil off rate.

Until you get your volumes under control there is no way to achieve a proper finished product or re-brew anything consistently.

__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
butterpants's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 888
Liked 92 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Ideally you need to zero in on your boil off rate so you can duplicate a batch. It's not the altitude because that doesn't change, it's your process. There are plenty of high altitude brewers out here that don't have this issue.

Take a pre-measured volume of water and boil it in the area you brew and regulate your flame to be consistent. Boil an hour and measure the finished volume. this is now your boil off rate over 60 minutes. I am aware that depending on ambient temperature and humidity there is a little variable but not gallons.

Since you are doing partial mash you also need to account for grain absorption as well which is typically .12 gallons per pound. Make a calibrated measuring stick that you can place in the kettle to be sure you are using whatever pre-boil volume you need to achieve your post boil volume based on your boil off rate.

Until you get your volumes under control there is no way to achieve a proper finished product or re-brew anything consistently.
you are of course correct.... and I love the marked stick in kettle idea.... BUT, I was more looking for feedback on if people actually do this on purpose..... concentrate their wort when the recipie called for a larger volume
__________________
butterpants is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,142
Liked 472 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterpants

you are of course correct.... and I love the marked stick in kettle idea.... BUT, I was more looking for feedback on if people actually do this on purpose..... concentrate their wort when the recipie called for a larger volume
Sure, lots of people try lots of things but usually they try to learn how to be consistent in what they are doing beforehand, otherwise everything becomes a crapshoot
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
butterpants's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 888
Liked 92 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

copy that

__________________
butterpants is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
BPal75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Millersville, MD
Posts: 194
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Your total gravity units will not change except due to system losses such as dead space. So yes you can add water to this set GU level to lower you OG or concentrate it to raise your OG. OG is just a function of gravity units and volume.

If you end up with 6 gallons of wort but recipe was built for 5, you can still hit your target OG by either boiling longer (concentrate down to target 5 gallons) or add gravity units, which post mash is most easily done by adding more LME or DME.

There are tons if free calculators out there on the web to help you determine how much DME or LME to add to hit your target OG.

__________________
BPal75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
butterpants's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 888
Liked 92 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPal75 View Post
Your total gravity units will not change except due to system losses such as dead space. So yes you can add water to this set GU level to lower you OG or concentrate it to raise your OG. OG is just a function of gravity units and volume.

If you end up with 6 gallons of wort but recipe was built for 5, you can still hit your target OG by either boiling longer (concentrate down to target 5 gallons) or add gravity units, which post mash is most easily done by adding more LME or DME.

There are tons if free calculators out there on the web to help you determine how much DME or LME to add to hit your target OG.
There's more to life than gravity units though..... If you just added sugar to get back units due to over dillution you'd be losing flavor.... all your malt/adjuncts/steeped grains would be off
__________________
butterpants is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
BPal75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Millersville, MD
Posts: 194
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

That's why I suggested DME or LME instead of sugar. Assuming your numbers are not way off, adding a little base malt shouldn't wreck your flavor. If its that bad steep a little more specialty grains and add that and the DME to your wort to keep your percentages the same. Or you could just let it be and deal with a lower OG. Or add some base malt and boil down to 5.5 gallons. Lots of options. Good luck.

__________________
BPal75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Over Calculated water volume affecting flavor? scottyg354 General Beer Discussion 3 04-05-2013 11:59 PM
Boil intensity madcowbrewing General Techniques 5 02-10-2013 07:16 PM
Yeast starter: What's the largest volume you should start with? PattyC Fermentation & Yeast 2 08-04-2012 03:18 AM
Steeping volume flavor/tannin extraction StophJS Extract Brewing 3 01-27-2012 03:04 PM
Altering flavor Post Kegging Danvigs Bottling/Kegging 3 01-07-2008 03:41 PM