Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Almonds in beer, need help clearing!! any agents recommended?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
brewman1982
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Almonds in beer, need help clearing!! any agents recommended?

So I decided to make a Honey Lager. Bought a Munton's beer kit, and I put a bag of fresh toasted almonds and toasted coconut into a blender and poured in some water and hit 'blend'. Then i added the opaque almond mixed water into the primary, topped up to 23 litres and pitched the yeast. I used a little honey and a little sugar. Everythings going good, I managed to remove most all of the almond oil from the surface of the beer--if theres any left its just a trace. Fermentation went well. Its now in a glass carboy.

But! I've got a problem... The beer is still cloudy from the almond mix! The almond-milky water did not settle out. Can anyone recommend a clearing agent that will not kill the yeast? (I still need to put this kick ass home brew into bottles!

My friend recommended a seaweed mix, any other tips on clearing?

Cheers,
brewman1982

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it's ready to bottle put it in the fridge overnight and add gelatin to it...but leave it in the fridge.

Maybe it'll help.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
brewman1982
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply, homebrewer_99. I'd use gelatin but i'm trying to keep the beer free of animal products. But I appreciate the tip. If the seaweed doesn't clear it, I'll pick up some gelatin.

Cheers!
BrewMan1982

Old 09-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Bentonite is a clay fining agent that might work. The residual oils on the almond particles could be a problem, as fining agents work by 'latching' onto proteins. I don't use my filter very often, but sometimes it's the only solution.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-05-2007, 03:34 AM   #5
DawsonH
Recipes 

This friend of yours sounds like a good guy.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
brewman1982
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottled!

First off, thanks to homebrewer_99 and David_42 for their suggestions, and DawsonH for the Seaweed clearing agent.

I bottled the Almond Honey Lager today.

Last night I added some Bentonite and a teaspoon of the Seaweed agent (boiled in a cup of water for 5 minutes). The seaweed mix went into the carboy without protest, the Bentonite caused a small fizz-up, but nothing serious. I decided to bottle today because I thought I'd let the bentonite and seaweed settle out in the bottles, that way I'll still have lots of yeast suspended in the brew to activate the bottling sugar.

Its still cloudy but I think a week or two and it will clear. This beer has a very profound roasted almondish taste, and I recommend anyone who loves almonds to try it, or some variation thereof.

RECIPE (in progress ):

Almond Honey Beer:

One Morgan's Brand Lager Kit - follow instructions
1 500g bag of fresh sliced almonds
1 cup of fresh coconut shredded or flaked
3 cups sugar
2 cups honey (domestic)
3 tbsp Bentonite
1 tsp Seaweed clearing agent
--------------------------------

Brew kit according to instructions. While topping up primary, toast almonds and coconut in oven at 350F0---pay close attention, and remove when almonds and coconut brown. Place almonds and coconut (now toasted) into a blender and top up with cold tap water. Hit blend. Add almond mixture to primary beer tub.

After seven days I added the last, 2nd cup of honey. I also syphoned the beer from the primary into a secondary carboy using a strainer, and being careful to leave out the almond oil which had by now risen to the surface of the foam in the primary tub.

Leave another 4 days in the secondary and then add 3 tablespoons of bentonite (crushed) and 1 teaspoon of seaweed clearing agent. Stir but watch for a foam-up.

Then Bottle--allow to clear further in bottles.

Cheers,
brewman1982.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You shouldn't be stirring anything in secondary. It sounds like you were rushing things a bit. How long did you let it sit in secondary? From the sound of it, it seems you added the honey which reactivated the yeast, and then when the yeast was still active, you decided to add bentonite and bottle.

I really don't think a cup of honey would be fermented out in just 4 days...

Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
brewman1982
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Damn Squirrels, thanks for the tip. I was trying to get the brew into the bottles before all the yeast had been cleared/settled to the bottom by the bentonite. So, in effect, there would still be enough active yeast (yes, also active from the additional honey) to activate the bottling sugar.

Incidentally, its been two days, and the beer has cleared remarkably. The sediments are collecting in the bottoms.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Unless you let the beer sit for more than 2 months, even if you can't see any yeast, there will still be plenty of yeast remaining to carbonate. Yeast are microscopic. You can definitely wait for the beer to clear before bottling. It's really not a problem.

Anyway, a cup of honey is about what you'd use to prime beer with honey. So I'm guessing you're about double-primed. On the bright side, it takes honey many weeks to ferment, so as long as you open them at regular intervals to check the carbonation level, the risk of explosion ought to be pretty low.

Cheers!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
brewman1982
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeesh thats a long ferment cycle, i'll check it soon to see about the carbonation.

Cheers!
Brewman1982

Quick Reply