Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > All Grain "Partial Batch" BIAB-ing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
acidrain23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default All Grain "Partial Batch" BIAB-ing?

So, I've been doing partial mash BIAB brewing for a while now, typically using 3-6 lbs DME, and about 5-7 lbs of grain. Its been working well, but the other day I attempted an all grain 3-gallon batch (which came out to 7-lbs of grain, about as much as I can handle weight wise). This got me thinking though- is there any reason I couldn't mash a 7 lb BIAB, remove the spent grains, and then do another 7lbs fresh in the same wort? It would increase my mash time by an hour, but I could try out some bonafide all grain recipes. Will it work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
ZKramer
Recipes 

Are you considering this because of the weight being a lifting issue, a bag strength issue, or a space in your kettle issue?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
acidrain23
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKramer View Post
Are you considering this because of the weight being a lifting issue, a bag strength issue, or a space in your kettle issue?
All of the above.

1) I have a seven gallon kettle, so I can really only accomplish a five gallon boil tops. I supposed it would be POSSIBLE to do two seven lb bags at once but would be pushing it volume wise.

2) I like to brew inside, especially during the Chicago winters (and I'm an apartment dweller, though I do have access to a back yard).

3) I also don't have the fundage to upgrade with propane burners, brewing scupture, giant kettles, mash tun, and so forth at the moment (someday though, probably after moving into a legitimate house of our own).

4) More than seven pounds of grain, wet- is just too heavy, and I am adverse to splashing myself with boiling wort (and I am accident prone to begin with)

Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
ZKramer
Recipes 

Hmm, if it was only one or two I was going to suggest alternatives, but the combinations of those limitations have stumped me. My only thought is to use less water in the mash, add it back for the boil, and rig a pulley system for the 14 lbs of wet grain (which really is surprisingly heavy, but it doesn't sound like that would work for you.

We'll have to wait for a more experienced brewer to weigh in.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
Derick_Z
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm very interested in this. You'll have to let us know if you try it and it works!

Old 12-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Since your first wort would be at mashing temperature for twice as long and in contact with the enzymes that much longer the long chain sugars might be converted and your beer end up drier than you prefer but maybe not too. Try a batch. You be the judge of the results. I think it will turn out fine.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
ChickenSandwichCarl
Recipes 

Why not just get a 2nd 5 gal pot(and 2nd bag)and just split the batch and combine back in the fermenter? Not really that much extra work.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I think Carl is right. You could scale down your five gallon recipe to 2.5, do two of them, merge in fermenter.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Quick Reply