Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > All Grain Batches Coming out Watery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

The first thing that struck me is that with that recipe and a mash temp of 154, the 1.008 FG surprises me.

A beer with a FG of 1.008 is normally "thin" feeling, and often is crisp- like a cream ale, or a light lager.

I'd check the accuracy of your thermometer first- I would expect those results in a beer mashed at 149, for example.

The beer won't change much during conditioning, since it has had plenty of time since brewday. Carbonation does change the mouthfeel a little, but it won't make a thin beer feel full.

That recipe is fine the way it is- but for darker beers you may want to try adding a pound of flaked barley. It really helps with body and mouthfeel. It's not usually used in lighter colored beers, as it gives a haze, and then carapils is sometimes used in lighter colored beers. I rarely use carapils, but many brewers use it for body and foam retention. The flaked barley works well, and I use that in many darker beers when I want some mouthfeel and foam retention.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
grathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If your adding malto dextrin to every batch then perhaps you just prefer heavier beers? For the past year I would consider anything under 1.065 OG to be too light and focused on larger beers mostly 1.085 and above for my preferable consumption.

I think calling your beers watery begs for conversation on flavor as opposed to mouthfeel though.

I agree about that FG being low. Perhaps the thermometer is off calibration or parts of the mash aren't being stirred enough and are mashing at much lower temps? Mash PH can also effect the conversion in much the same way that temperature can.

Carbonation can certainly make a weak beer seem more robust. Why not up your volumes to near over-carb and test it out? It takes over 3 weeks for my kegs to carb in set and forget method.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply