Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Alcohol-Free Beer Recipe???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
bckyrdkid420
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Alcohol-Free Beer Recipe???

This might be a stupid question, but was wondering if there was a way to make alcohol free beer?...

My SWMBO bought me all my brewing stuff for xmas last year and was all fired up to start getting into homebrew's... Made my first batch on new year's eve... 5 days later we found out she was pregnant with our first baby! Super stoked!
3.5 months later, she's in her 2nd trimester and I have about 6 brews under my belt... And she hasn't got to try even a sip of any of them! I put a few bottles away for her of every brew, but I feel bad sitting there raving about how good they are and she can't even enjoy one!

So I thought it would be rad to be able to make her a Alcohol Free Homebrew (if it's even possible) She's usually a Lager drinker, but enjoy's Blondes, wheats and Kolsch's...

If anybody knows of a way I could pull this off, I'd be really appreciative and I know she would be too!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckyrdkid420 View Post
This might be a stupid question, but was wondering if there was a way to make alcohol free beer?...

My SWMBO bought me all my brewing stuff for xmas last year and was all fired up to start getting into homebrew's... Made my first batch on new year's eve... 5 days later we found out she was pregnant with our first baby! Super stoked!
3.5 months later, she's in her 2nd trimester and I have about 6 brews under my belt... And she hasn't got to try even a sip of any of them! I put a few bottles away for her of every brew, but I feel bad sitting there raving about how good they are and she can't even enjoy one!

So I thought it would be rad to be able to make her a Alcohol Free Homebrew (if it's even possible) She's usually a Lager drinker, but enjoy's Blondes, wheats and Kolsch's...

If anybody knows of a way I could pull this off, I'd be really appreciative and I know she would be too!
I don't think it's possible. Even trying to boil off all of the alcohol won't get rid of all of it.

Even commercial NA beers have a small amount of alcohol. I think O'Doul's has about .4% ABV.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
Monty420th
Recipes 

no alcohol in beer?!? BLASPHEMY!!!!

yooper is right though, probably can't be done

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal

Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
DavidHawman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe you could brew a beer without the hops and let it ferment. Then bring it back to a boil and hop it? The re-boiling will drive off the alcohol but will probably take a lot of the flavor with it too.

And I've read that pregnant women can have 1 glass of wine a day and be fine.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 908 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 26

My pregnant wife is just as adamant about not even having a sip of any alcohol. Of course it's a bit of an overreaction but I'm not going to rock the boat.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
Monty420th
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
My pregnant wife is just as adamant about not even having a sip of any alcohol. Of course it's a bit of an overreaction but I'm not going to rock the boat.
this is one of the reasons my wife does not want to get pregnant

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal

Old 03-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd probably die of dehydration if I ever got pregnant... I'm still saying never! There is no way I could go 9 months without beer.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHawman View Post
And I've read that pregnant women can have 1 glass of wine a day and be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Obviously talk to your doctor first, but I think these are both defensible positions. On the one hand, low alcohol intake (in the 1 drink/day realm) seems reasonable, and a lot of doctors are okay with that during pregnancy.

On the other hand, once you open that door it's very easy for some people to let one drink turn into 2 or 3 or more, and so zero-tolerance may be the easiest thing for a lot of people.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitocontrol View Post
I'd probably die of dehydration if I ever got pregnant... I'm still saying never! There is no way I could go 9 months without beer.
Same here. Oh, wait, I'm a man...

At least the OP is saving some of his homebrew for his SWMBO. Mine doesn't drink beer, but she'll take a few sips to taste it. She usually says it's too bitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Funny how this debate goes back and forth over the years, even though Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is only a problem with chronic alcoholics. When my elder sisters were pregnant back in the '70s and '80s, doctors were recommending moderate drinking, 1-2 a day.

Anyway OP, getting rid of all the alcohol is almost impossible, but you can heat any beer to 170F for 30 minutes and knock the ABV under 0.5%.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply