New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > airlock won't stay in carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
bierandbikes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default airlock won't stay in carboy

I can't believe I am the only one with this problem. My stout was bubbling along just fine with a blowoff tube for a couple of days. I then checked it last night and the stopper is out...I don't know for how long. I messed with it for a while and finally think I have it fixed but this morning I had the same problem. I switched to a standard airlock, but having the same issues. It just slips out.

Any ideas for keeping it sealed but still able to remove it once the fermentation is complete?

Hopefully I did not get any contamination as this was a relatively expensive brew.

Brew Pedaler Aleworks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a few weird rubber stoppers that tend to pop back up out of a couple of my more narrow-necked carboys. I try to use my red rubber carboy caps with those carboys, the ones that cover the neck completely. If I don't have a carboy cap available, I'll secure the stopper with a few wraps of electrical tape.

I doubt you had any contamination as the stout was emitting lots of CO2 before you discovered that the stopper was out.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
kfz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My glass carboy does that too if the rubber stopper or the neck of the carboy is wet. I just wipe it dry and it stays in place

Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1287 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 2205

My last batch i also had this issue, i have a carboy handle which made a convenient point to anchor a piece of twine to tie the stopper down.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2363 Times on 1530 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfz
My glass carboy does that too if the rubber stopper or the neck of the carboy is wet. I just wipe it dry and it stays in place
Same here. I just wipe them dry also.
I did have a problem with one that still wouldn't stay in so I just used a couple pieces of tape to secure it.

Long story short, Beer.

reverendj1 Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
motorneuron
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 26

When I first put the stopper into my carboy, I dry the carboy neck (below the very top) and place a layer of duct tape around that, and then put strips of duct tape over the stopper secured to the ring of tape. That ensures it stays on. Tends only to be a problem for me at the beginning of fermentation when things are most vigorous, though.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

This is why I love carboy caps that completely cover the neck of the carboy. So much easier to get on/off and no slippage from being wet.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
bierandbikes
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are the carboy caps air tight? I seem to recall seeing something about them not being air tight like the stoppers. Also, will they stay on during extreme fermentation such as with a Bavarian weizen? I have never been truly happy with the standard stoppers so I am ready to try something different.

Brew Pedaler Aleworks

Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierandbikes View Post
Are the carboy caps air tight? I seem to recall seeing something about them not being air tight like the stoppers. Also, will they stay on during extreme fermentation such as with a Bavarian weizen? I have never been truly happy with the standard stoppers so I am ready to try something different.
I never liked the fit of the orange carboy caps, but these red rubber ones fit air tight and don't slip when wet. I get hearty blowoff through mine without them coming off (like this).

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
TheHairyHop
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

same issue on my 3 gallon carboy. Take some aluminum foil (the width of the stopper) and wrap it around the stopper. It stopped mine from popping out

Beers I'll Make Again: Apollo SMaSH, Imperial 1.0, Old Chub Clone, Wheat IPA, G'Knight Clone

Quick Reply