New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging a Wee Heavy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Aging a Wee Heavy

So I've done a pretty thorough search on the topic of aging, but I want to get people's input on this. I'm planning a Wee Heavy with a calculated OG of 1.089. I'll most likely be aging in a 5 gallon carboy for aging before kegging (not enough kegs yet).

I'm trying to decide how long to let it sit before drinking, I'm thinking 2 months ought to do it before kegging, anyone disagree?

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I had my Wee heavy for about 1 year. It was pretty much undrinkable before 3 months and did nothing but get better for the 1 year it lasted . . . I wish I would have waited longer and bet by now it would be unfreeking believeable

Old 03-28-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
I had my Wee heavy for about 1 year. It was pretty much undrinkable before 3 months and did nothing but get better for the 1 year it lasted . . . I wish I would have waited longer and bet by now it would be unfreeking believeable

Likewise...my brew based off a wee heavy went through a number of interesting aging stages before it really started becomming tasty at the 3 month mark

Old 03-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So it sounds like I might want to rack it to a keg (shucks, I'll have to go buy another one) after a few weeks (maybe let it prime naturally) and then put it in the basement for the next 6 months. Either that or bottle it rather than kegging (although I really want this one on tap).

Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

buy a 5 gallon carboy and rack into that then put it in a dark cool corner of the basement for another 6 months, should be cheeper then a new keg and they ya have a extra carboy

Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
JasonCajda
Recipes 

Question about letting it sit for 6 months? Would you have to add yeast if you where bottling?

Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
psymn
Recipes 

I brewed my current Wee Heavy in November. I aged it in a carboy for until mid January, when I needed the carboy for another beer. I then transferred it to a keg, and let it sit until last weekend. One thing about this beer: FREAKIN' AWESOME!!

It naturally carbonated in the keg, which I did not expect after 2 month in the secondary, but I'm not complaining. This is my 4th round with this style, and I've made some tweaks along the way that could account for the longer than usual fermentation. I add some molasses, but I also add 1 cup of homemade cane syrup, which is probably slow to ferment. This is definitely a style that gets better with age. I recently found a bottle from my first batch of wee heavy made 2 years ago and I've never been so happy to drink alone!

Cheers,

Matt

Fermenter 1: Apricot wheat, Sterling silverback

Waiting for space: Cali common; Helles 08v2,

Drinking:
Muenchner Helles 08; Daddy's alt; Rye PA 1; Rye PA 2; Amber ale; Noche Buena; Kiltish Wee Heavy; Saison; Rootbeer;

Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Based on feedback my plan is to go buy another 5 gallon carboy (thank you Pumbaa), steal a milk crate for transportation purposes, rack to the carboy after primary is complete, put it in the basement and forget about it until Oct, rack it to a keg, carb it for a week in the kegerator, tap it and drink drink drink.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice you guys, I'm really looking forward to this one and if it turns out well it'll become one of my house beers (okay, they're all turning into house beers but what the hell, that's what this hobby is all about right).

Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 AM   #9
Scotty_g

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Six months? I'll die of thirst by then...

Gedvondur and I have recently discovered how delicious a Wee Heavy can get and are planning to brew one this weekend (starter pitched...30 minutes ago). We're using the Northern Brewer kit and it claims to be ready to drink in 3 months, but it sounds like that's on the short side. I'm glad I looked online tonight.

Thankfully the local grocery store sells at least two Wee Heavies, McEwans and Scotty Karate (from Dark Horse Brewing in Marshall, MI). Somehow I'll manage.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Quick Reply