Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging a Russian Imperial Stout.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
GatorBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZeRCoX View Post
Bumping an old thread - is there any fear of the beer getting oxidized in secondary? I've got a Russian Imperial Stout with an OG of 1.103 that should be in the 10%+ alcohol range. I left it in Primary for about a month until the gravity reading stabilized (was sitting at 1.026 for about 5 days) before moving it to a whiskey barrel my wife got me for Valentine's Day from a local distillery.

I figure I'll probably have it there for about 3 weeks or so until the flavor is right before moving it to a true secondary to let it bulk age for 2-3 months.

My concern is that with very little carbon dioxide being produced at this point by the beer, that there is a much greater chance for oxidation in the true secondary. Any thoughts on how to avoid this? I know minimal head space is ideal, but even in a 5 gallon secondary I will probably end up with half a gallon or so of head space.
Your best bet will be to be extremely cautious when racking and purge your secondary vessel with CO2 before you close it up.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 719 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 277

purging with oxygen is one approach. another is to use something no-reactive to help fill up the secondary. for example, add marbles until the secondary is filled to the top (sanitize them first).

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
BeeZeRCoX Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
purging with oxygen is one approach. another is to use something no-reactive to help fill up the secondary. for example, add marbles until the secondary is filled to the top (sanitize them first).
Not oxygen, carbon dioxide.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You'll probably pick up more oxidation in the barrel than the secondary. I usually bulk age in secondary first, then go into the barrel, then age a little more in a keg with CO2 on top.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #25
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZeRCoX View Post
Bumping an old thread - is there any fear of the beer getting oxidized in secondary? I've got a Russian Imperial Stout with an OG of 1.103 that should be in the 10%+ alcohol range. I left it in Primary for about a month until the gravity reading stabilized (was sitting at 1.026 for about 5 days) before moving it to a whiskey barrel my wife got me for Valentine's Day from a local distillery.

I figure I'll probably have it there for about 3 weeks or so until the flavor is right before moving it to a true secondary to let it bulk age for 2-3 months.

My concern is that with very little carbon dioxide being produced at this point by the beer, that there is a much greater chance for oxidation in the true secondary. Any thoughts on how to avoid this? I know minimal head space is ideal, but even in a 5 gallon secondary I will probably end up with half a gallon or so of head space.
If this is a brand new barrel I'd recommend tasting it every few days, especially in the beginning. If there was a lot of residual bourbon, your beer will pick up the flavor quickly and you don't want too much bourbon flavor.

My first use of my bourbon barrel only took 4 days before it had quite the bourbon taste. I'm hoping my next beer can go a few weeks though.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #26
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

So how does one know if you need more yeast before bottling if you've bulk aged for awhile? I did an imperial stout kit from Midwest and it was bulk aged in secondary for 4 months and it came with Champagne yeast so I added that. But how would I know if I need that?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #27
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 69

If it's good on Christmas, 2013, (and it will be) brew another big one and let it sit until Christmas, 2014. And save a few from your current batch for Christmas, 2014 too. I still have a 8 or so bottles of an RIS I made almost 2 years ago, and they are AWESOME.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS