Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging my Barley wine with red wine soaked oak chips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
JoMarky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it was me personally I would skip out on the airstone, just doesn't sound kosher if not used with proper awareness. I wouldn't try to intentionally oxidize the beer at all for that matter, for as long as your aging it, it will happen to some extent naturally. Although I think the sherry flavors of oxidation would compliment the beer, I wouldn't risk over doing it.

La Crema is a pretty smooth, low tannin pinot noir for about 20 bucks, i've had the coppola but don't remember it, just that I liked it but not as much as the crema. I think toasting the oak is a good idea, are you gonna add just the oak after its soaked, or throw in some of the wine too? I'm thinking, add the oak, then taste the left over wine, perhaps even add some to a glass of barleywine to get an idea of the combination, and if it tastes good throw some of the wine in too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #12
jrkettle
Recipes 

I don't know about wine, but I'm about to rack a barleywine onto 3oz Med toast american oak cubes that has been soaking in Makers and age it for a year. Wish I had thought of wine, I have a great homemade red blend in the cellar that would be good for that. Maybe next time.

I wouldn't use an expensive bottle of wine since you're not putting a lot in the beer. Don't go with wine in a box but don't go nuts on a $30 bottle. If it was me, I would probably use a Cab or Cab/Merlot.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 AM   #13
IPA4ME
Recipes 

So, how did the barleywine turn out?

It sounded like it was going to be winner...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #14
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Me likey this.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It's been shown that a Plastic "Ale Pale" has a higher oxygen permeation than an Oak Barrel. (Yeah, I didn't believe it either!) I've seen it mentioned on this site as well as a previous podcast of BrewStrong. I'd just rack it in to a bucket on top of the oak chips if you are thinking of the airstone idea. Just my $.02.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
JMG680
Recipes 

I Think I will try red wine aged oak chip in my next Barley Wine. I have one barley wine aging now and I used 1.5.oz of American Oak chips that soaked in 5 oz of Jameson 18 year old whiskey for a month before going into the secondary.

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Are you also going to be adding the wine that you are soaking the chips in? From what I understand the wine takes on the wood flavor and the wood takes on the wine flavor.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #18
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313 View Post
Are you also going to be adding the wine that you are soaking the chips in? From what I understand the wine takes on the wood flavor and the wood takes on the wine flavor.
No more for you, it's only 11am and you're contradicting yourself!
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #19
clept
Recipes 

Okay yall asked, so here's an update...

I brewed this beer back in early August. I gave it about a month in primary, then racked it to secondary where it sat for another month. Then I added 2oz medium toast Hungarian oak cubes that had a 2 week sit on about 4 oz's of French Cab.

I left the oak cubes(+wine) on it for about 2 months then bottled.

Its drinking pretty good right now. As far as the red wine oak aging I'm satisfied with the result, it's definitely more oak-y than red wine-y. Since I had such low attenuation the beer is pretty dry to begin with and the red wine really comes through on the dry side as well with a definite faint cab flavor. The oak is still a bit strong but I feel this beer is still a bit green and the oak will fade to a nice level as this beer ages.

Overall I feel like I missed the mark with my barley wine since I didn't do any of the dry hoping that I had originally planned for. I had to bottle sooner than I wanted because I had to move houses. So I bottled instead of racking a 3rd time just to get it off the oak. It came out a lot more English style than I'd have liked but its still pretty tasty.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
wyzazz
Recipes 

Glad it turned out OK, I'm sure the flavors will blend together nicely with time.

Quick Reply