Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging in keg??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
illinibrew04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aging in keg??

I'm thinking about brewing a winter warmer style beer soon. I probably won't drink any until thanksgiving/later Nov, and i recently came upon some used cornies at a reasonable price. After it finishes in the secondary can i keg it and leave it in the basement uncarbonated to age for awhile. Unfortunately i don't have enough cold storage. Should i leave it uncarbed or carb it?? As always, thanks for the advice...also assuming I'd need to purge the oxygen from the keg as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibrew04 View Post
I'm thinking about brewing a winter warmer style beer soon. I probably won't drink any until thanksgiving/later Nov, and i recently came upon some used cornies at a reasonable price. After it finishes in the secondary can i keg it and leave it in the basement uncarbonated to age for awhile. Unfortunately i don't have enough cold storage. Should i leave it uncarbed or carb it?? As always, thanks for the advice...also assuming I'd need to purge the oxygen from the keg as well.
I age all of my beers in a keg, I keep them in a chest freezer at 50f. I also keep them uncarbonated, but I make sure to purge the keg with co2.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You should definitely purge the keg. It might be advisable to seat the seal, too.

Kyle

Old 08-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Second Wildwest's comments. I have aged kegs for years now. Heck, I go straight from the primary to the keg, purge the O2 and pumped in some CO2 to set the seals and let it set. All you have to do when your reading to serve, is just dump out the first couple of ounces and then good to go.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Why not just prime the keg and have it carb itself.

Of course, it help to be sure the seal holds under lower pressures.

Quick Reply