Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging Fruit and Honey beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Default Aging Fruit and Honey beers

I've never made a fruit beer before. I recently made this: Spearmint

Now it's been in a bottle for about a week. Carbonation levels are normal for an ale but I am trying for about a 3.4 co2 level so it has a few more days to go yet.

Now, I know this beer is very young, but with traditional beers I'm a pretty good judge of how a young beer will likely taste once aged for a while.

With a fruit beer I'm clueless. Especially fruit with honey and spices. I don't seem to be tasting the malt, the flavoring hops are present and will likely mellow out. They taste a bit to "fresh" at the moment

What I guess I'd like to know is how does the flavor from the fruit and honey change as the beer ages?

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Fruit flavors tend to get weaker as the ale ages. Honey can disappear completely. Mints tend to hang on.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply