Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging beer: Facts, myths, and discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #41
gplutt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seems to me that most of the "give it time" posts are for people who are brewing their first batch and are worried something is wrong and want to "fix" it by racking to another carboy, or bottling, or repitching yeast...in the majority of these cases I think that its a good idea to leave well enough alone.
For people who are relative newcomers(including me) I think that your first inclination should be to "give it another week in the carboy", while people that have been brewing long enough to recognize signs that fermentation is absolutely done and it tastes right can go right on to kegging and force carbonating. Maybe as someone new to kegging you SHOULD just let it carbonate at serving pressure rather than overcarbonate your beer. After a batch or two you can turn it up to 30 and shake away.
In a nutshell, I guess what I'm saying is if you know what you are doing, then 2 weeks is great. You know the beer is done and you know its properly carbonated. For that guy who is on his first or second batch, he should force himself to leave the stuff in that carboy for an extra week and stop worrying cause the airlock stopped blowing after 3 days.

Kegged: Stout

Barrelled: Oregon Group Brew Stout
Long term Secondary: Fool's Gold Barleywine
Next: Bohemian Pilsener

stinkmuis Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #42
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I kegged a SMaSH Pale Ale with Fuggles that completely sucked for the first 3-5 months. At month 5 it was better, but not great.

Now that it's in month 7 it is really very good.
The the sake of discussion, any reason why your SMaSH Pale Ale took 5-7 months to get good?

Seems to me this goes against Yuri idea of a quick turn around beer and I would have figured a Pale ale would have been a good style to brew and drink relatively quickly.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #43
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think a lot has to do with how well balanced a recipe is and how well, um... executed it is.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #44
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Very informative thread for this Noobie. Kegging and forced carbing may or may not be in my brewing future. But Learning to make good starters and better temp. control are on the list for sure.

Great thread!

My airlock passes gas.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #45
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Great thread Yuri - lots of interesting food for thought, and a very practical and well-made case for getting great beer without waiting months.

The only thing I'd want to flag up is that whilst good quick beer is possible, I'm sure a lot of us have experienced beer that - whilst perfectly good at one month - got even better after longer conditioning. I really like the techniques in this thread on how to make good "quick beer", though as a small-scale home-brewer, I also like having the luxury of being able to let beer sit for weeks or months if need be. That's a luxury we have that microbreweries really don't have. They have to sell their beer to survive, and the faster microbreweries can turn over beer, the more they can sell. It'd be madness for them to block up their fermenters for six months just to age a big beer, when in that time they could make twelve times as much quick beer.

Also, I worry we might be getting a bit carried away by high-speed brewing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbeque View Post
I am able to go from grain to glass in as little as 19 days. And I bottle! I don't understand why some guys can't get their ales to carbonate in well under 14 days in the bottle.
I'm sure we've all seen a load of posts where newer brewers open their beer too soon, and then wonder why it tastes like ass. For fear that this thread might start an epidemic of such posts, I'd be really reluctant to suggest that bottle carbing can get done in well under 14 days. I'm sure it may be possible under some circumstances - but unless you're up against a deadline, the best advice on bottle conditioning is 21 days at 70F.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #46
brewer_duke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've found that fruit beers tend to take awhile to condition also. I've made cherry beers from both fresh fruits and fruit extracts and noticed a considerable difference after 2 months than before that (that's with bottle conditioning, though). Guess it goes along with one of those flavors that have to develop with time.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #47
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A lot of sense talked there Yuri.

I thought it was interesting that you saw quite a difference in your beers (for the better) after moving to texas which you say has harder water (likely to have higher Calcium levels).

I've had problems with the clearing of hazes (protein and yeast) turned out after some analysis that I had v. soft water and therfore not enough calcium to get A) an efficent protein coagulation in the boil and B) sufficent quantities to help in the flocculation of the yeast post ferment.

Just another thing to consider for those that may be having clearing issues with your beer, look into your water, you might need to supplement with some Calcium Salts (as a rule of thumb use Ca sulphate to accentuate hoppyness, and Ca Cl for maltyness or a ratio of 1:1 of both to keep it neutral).

Old 10-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #48
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoldebrewer View Post
Very informative thread for this Noobie. Kegging and forced carbing may or may not be in my brewing future. But Learning to make good starters and better temp. control are on the list for sure.
You'll be amazed at how good your beer gets if you do everything Yuri has on his list. My process has been pretty much the same for the last 6 batches or so, and now I can't wait to tap those kegs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 AM   #49
strohs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The last 2 beers I brewed were both being served on tap in under 4 weeks.
It wasnt until about 5 weeks though that they were perfectly clear, but taste wise they were fine at 4...

Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #50
natelatte
Recipes 

speed brewing, but what about the other end. What about the 7 month old beer. Would you leave it in your secondary for 7 months, keg it and leave it as a still solution, or keg it and bring it up to the proper carbonation level, and then stick it somewhere for all that time?

I would think 7 months in the primary would leave some taste behind from the cake on the bottom.

Primary:Edwort's Apfelwein X 2,
Secondary: German Altbier, Vanilla Cream Ale
Kegged and Waiting:Empty
On Tap: Oktoberfest, DunkelWeizen
Up Next: Hefe, Newcastle Clone

Quick Reply