Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging beer: Facts, myths, and discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 AM   #21
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
ZERO...except that a primed/naturally carbed keg will have sediment in the bottom, so your first few pours are cloudy.
I have a theory that a few of my beers picked up a little off flavor from bottle conditioning too warm. I don't know if that's true, but force carbing eliminates the possibility.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #22
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
ZERO...except that a primed/naturally carbed keg will have sediment in the bottom, so your first few pours are cloudy.
I always have a few cloudy pints anyway...so I'm not going to push it with keg carbing. I'd definitely recommend that you force carb. It's not nearly the involved process that some people make it up to be. Hook it up for a few days...then move to storage....when it's time to go on tap...24 hours on the gas and it's good to go....and cold. There is no reason to mess with trying to naturally carb in a keg. Also, I have a keg that will NOT seal without about 5psi...so I'd never get a seal on it trying to naturally carb.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #23
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm drinking a 30 day old brew now, and I don't think it's going to get better. It started at 1.068 and tastes very much like Maudite.

Most of my favorite commercial brews are bottle conditioned. Many brewers say it tastes better that way. I hope to keg soon and find out for myself.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:41 AM   #24
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nothing to add, but just wanted to say thank you Yuri for posting a thread with information that might be useful to someone.

that is all

Old 10-14-2008, 04:17 AM   #25
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Common sense does go a long way in the home brewing world. Way to simplify Yuri
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 10-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #26
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
There is no reason to mess with trying to naturally carb in a keg. Also, I have a keg that will NOT seal without about 5psi...so I'd never get a seal on it trying to naturally carb.
I am a bit out of my element here, but from everything that I have heard the best route is to just set it at your serving pressure and let it sit until the pressure evens out, about the same amount of time that it takes for your bottles to carbonate...

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #27
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef View Post
I am a bit out of my element here, but from everything that I have heard the best route is to just set it at your serving pressure and let it sit until the pressure evens out, about the same amount of time that it takes for your bottles to carbonate...
That seems to be a matter of opinion. That's how I've done it. Of course, you could combine the methods. Shake at high pressure to get it most of the way there, but let the set & forget method finish it off so you don't overcarb.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #28
Dilligaf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Yuri for the informative tread.

Do you think these same result could be obtained brewing extract batches? (Full Boil)

After reading I'm pretty sure my two major downfalls are not pitching nearly enough starter and going a little hop crazy

I don't have the means to keg my beer what would be your advice for reducing the amount of time between brewing to drinking?

In an American IPA(og 1.64) using only centennial what IBU's would you aim for to obtain the fastest condoning?

" I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra -

pickles Likes This 
Old 10-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #29
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Solid post, Yuri. The noobs should add this to their favorites. Some of the more experienced brewers around here could take some of this to task as well (yes, I'm talking about myself).

I will say, however, that there is also something to be said about the challenge of brewing the few styles (Old Ale, Biere de Garde, etc.) that require extended periods of aging.

I like to find middle ground. It's great to have beers that you can turn around quickly to get on tap in a hurry and I do this probably 40% of the time. 55% of my brewing is dedicated to beers that require a little bit more. Whether it be dry hopping or a month or two of aging or, more commonly, me not having enough time to get to them when I should. The extended age beers make up 5% or so.

Hopefully as people gain brewing experience they will come to realize that it's not always about pumping out a beer as quickly as you can. It's about creating something that tastes freaking great and whether it went from grain to glass in 21 or 365 days isn't really what's important.

What IS important is nailing down your processes so that if you want to pound out a great tasting, clear, perfectly carbed beer in 21 days you can do it every time.

stinkmuis Likes This 
Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #30
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
That seems to be a matter of opinion. That's how I've done it. Of course, you could combine the methods. Shake at high pressure to get it most of the way there, but let the set & forget method finish it off so you don't overcarb.
This is what I do. Takes about 4 days to carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply