Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging beer: Facts, myths, and discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #261
fredthecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 81

wow 8 days for rogue dead guy? not disputing it, and they've got a way different setup, but what's their process??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #262
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthecat View Post
wow 8 days for rogue dead guy? not disputing it, and they've got a way different setup, but what's their process??
Heard from an ex-brewer who used to brew it. Not sure what in their process lets them go that fast. Just mentioned they know what they're doing with that beer in particular. He did say it only takes them a few hours to carb, which helps.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #263
Onkel_Udo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As I am trying to "catch up" and get the pipeline full after restarting my brewing addiction, I have been "cutting corners" from my old process. I no longer have my 15 corny kegs in the garage to keg and keg-as-secondary (although I have the space, my renters stole all that stuff while I was in Iraq). I have been going from 7-day primary to a few 22-oz bottles and the rest in the tap-a-draft bottles.

One 6L goes straight to the fridge and force carb'ed. The other two naturally carb. Two days latter I tap the the forced bottle. 14 days latter I tap the first naturally carb'ed bottle. I taste only minor differences in in the hop profile.

Granted, I have been doing mostly milds and bitters (1.035-1.042 OG) for the summer so that I have good session beers and all have been extract with specialty grain. I am a firm believer in big starters so the next beer gets pitched on the last beer's yeast cake half the time and from 1/2 gal starter (stepped once or twice depending on timing) the rest of the time. I use Whitbread, London II and US-05 for about everything ale.

This weekend I do my first all-grain in almost 6 years...with 2/3'rds of my gravity 3-tier I built when I was 21 (almost 20 years ago). The only change is the switch to an electric HLT and no more welded up step stand...just three nesting platforms that when put together store the brewery in a 4 sq ft space in the garage full of woodworking equipment and race car.

Back on topic, since I "perfected" my all-grain method at about my 9th brew I have only had one beer that significantly benefited from long lagering of any sort and that was a double-bock. Kegged at 2 weeks in the primary then stuck in the winter crawlspace. Drunk and out of beer my neighbor and I sampled it at 3-weeks in the keg and decided to walk to the liquor store for more beer verses finishing the glasses we had. Forgot about it until March (now 8 months in the keg) and tapped it to decide if I should dump it to free up the keg. Best beer I ever made! Gave you massive sulfur farts but everything has a trade-off.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #264
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

^^^
Epic aging beer post.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #265
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Over the years I have gathered the short turn around of commercial beers is mysteriously aided by a few factors . I have heard;

1) pressurized fermentation - it's harder on the yeast and makes autolysis a real concern, but allegedly pressurized fermentation helps either minimize the production of off-products or, more likely, the speed at which they settle or are re-absorbed

2) filtration - after the yeast are done in the secondary the aging and flavor of a beer are almost exclusively acted upon by settling of off flavor causing compounds. Time will help because they will settle out eventually. In the absence of time if you filter a beer cold you remove a great deal of the fermentation compounds and therefore don't need to age.

3) cold storage/filtration - in terms of haze, the colder you get the beer, the more the micro sized particles (and flavor compounds associated with them) flock together. The bigger the flock the quicker they settle. It's my belief that this is one of the main reasons people who keg believe kegging is so far and above better than bottling (unbeknownst to most of them). Bottlers tend to keep the beer at room temp so the yeast can stay active and carbonate - (higher temp=longer time till "aged"). If you keg, most likely you keep your beer colder longer to help the co2 stay in solution or because you are using the co2 on your draft system ( in the cold Keezer) to pressurize your kegs.

As I see it... These 3 things are the great truths about shortening how long it takes to get a beer to its greatest potential.

EDIT: these would be the UNTOLD TRUTHS. That is to say, fermentation temps and cellaring procedures as well as proper pitch rate and Oxigenation are all the primary factors, but everybody knows about that and I think there are very few people in our hobby who don't understand this to at least some degree.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #266
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii
Over the years I have gathered the short turn around of commercial beers is mysteriously aided by a few factors . I have heard; 1) pressurized fermentation - it's harder on the yeast and makes autolysis a real concern, but allegedly pressurized fermentation helps either minimize the production of off-products or, more likely, the speed at which they settle or are re-absorbed 2) filtration - after the yeast are done in the secondary the aging and flavor of a beer are almost exclusively acted upon by settling of off flavor causing compounds. Time will help because they will settle out eventually. In the absence of time if you filter a beer cold you remove a great deal of the fermentation compounds and therefore don't need to age. 3) cold storage/filtration - in terms of haze, the colder you get the beer, the more the micro sized particles (and flavor compounds associated with them) flock together. The bigger the flock the quicker they settle. It's my belief that this is one of the main reasons people who keg believe kegging is so far and above better than bottling (unbeknownst to most of them). Bottlers tend to keep the beer at room temp so the yeast can stay active and carbonate - (higher temp=longer time till "aged"). If you keg, most likely you keep your beer colder longer to help the co2 stay in solution or because you are using the co2 on your draft system ( in the cold Keezer) to pressurize your kegs. As I see it... These 3 things are the great truths about shortening how long it takes to get a beer to its greatest potential. EDIT: these would be the UNTOLD TRUTHS. That is to say, fermentation temps and cellaring procedures as well as proper pitch rate and Oxigenation are all the primary factors, but everybody knows about that and I think there are very few people in our hobby who don't understand this to at least some degree.
And by process of artificial selection they have yeast that are tuned for a specific temp, gravity and other fermenter conditions. They also have the benefit of distribution time to retail.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #267
kedash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yuri, I'm thinking he meant a keg that was shaken to expedite carbonation, not one that had priming sugar (dextrose) added to it. I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #268
kedash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I found this topic very interesting. I just brewed (for the 2nd time), a pale ale (Deschutes Mirror Pond Clone). I brewed it on Friday, it appears to have hit terminal gravity (Monday, I'll check tomorrow). Lots of free English Ale yeast pitched (thanks to Ninkasi Brewing). I will keg it on Friday (dry hop in the keg) and have it ready the following Friday or Saturday for family coming to town. This beer cost me about 25 cents a pint due to being all homegrown Cascade hops, free yeast and grain purchased in built. It was so delicious last spring that I would literally shake my head and just smile that I brewed this beer. Many people at a retirement party I held at our home said the same thing. So, yes, I agree…you can brew a good/great beer and have it very drinkable quickly. I used to bottle and other than low gravity or wheat beers, I found they weren't great until the magical 6-week after bottling mark.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #269
JLeuch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

should of read this earlier... Just bottled 3 different kind of brew some 4 months aged

Old 09-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #270
drumuglyknuckles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great post. Thanks Yuri

Quick Reply