New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging beer: Facts, myths, and discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #231
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sloth View Post
The last couple of batches I have brewed have been more yeasty than normal. I have not changed up my technique much (even though I experiment often - which I do not consider a change since I do this often) I was reading in a different post that water could possibly cause this?
I have been using bottled water until recently and realized this is one of few things I have changed. Is this likely the problem?
Do you most people use tap or bottled water?
If using tap does the process take longer and I am not being patient?

Anyone have any input?

All suggestions and input greatly appreciated.
How long did the beer ferment? Did you use a secondary? What was your fermentation temperature?

If it was warmer, this can promote some yeasty flavors, particularly if a longer primary was used.

Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #232
klnosaj

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would like credit for having read through this entire thread, beginning to end.

Meanwhile, I didn't find discussion about what brought me here to begin with. And that is this: What, exactly, is happening when beer ages?

What are the mechanisms by which flavors change, mellow, combine, etc.? What are the processes underway that make an Old Peculier clone so good after 3 months in the bottle when it tasted like musty vinegar after two weeks in the bottle? Anyone know what's actually going on in there?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #233
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnosaj View Post
I would like credit for having read through this entire thread, beginning to end.

Meanwhile, I didn't find discussion about what brought me here to begin with. And that is this: What, exactly, is happening when beer ages?

What are the mechanisms by which flavors change, mellow, combine, etc.? What are the processes underway that make an Old Peculier clone so good after 3 months in the bottle when it tasted like musty vinegar after two weeks in the bottle? Anyone know what's actually going on in there?
Many complex chemical reactions are taking place, and the process isn't fully understood from what I have read. What I've noticed is this: over time, hop bitterness fades and specialty malts dull and blend. When I taste a big beer after two weeks, the elements are competing. For example, with old ale, you might have 70 IBUs fighting with a couple pounds of caramel/chocolate/whatever. After a while, the IBUs decrease and the various ingredients come together in harmony.

I've noticed all my big beers taste better after a few months, except for tripel. Pretty easy to guess why; tripel is all yeast flavor, no specialty malts that need to mellow.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #234
klnosaj

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Many complex chemical reactions are taking place, and the process isn't fully understood...
I thought this might be the case. The plural of anecdote isn't evidence but in my experience the more complex the recipe the more waiting pays off.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #235
rferguson61
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Its kinda like how left overs taste better the second day. Fresh, all the flavors are still bright and bold. The molecules in one are stronger than others and, mind you this is a very cude and not scientific jogron correct, "break down" and mix similar to how osmosis works with water leaving and entering the cells. The strong bold flavors take over abd spread out through the rest making them less prominant over time allowing the milder flavor to appear.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #236
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hopefully my post won't get lost in this very long running, and interesting, discussion, but here goes...

I agree that very good beers can be brewed in relatively short periods of time, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that "big" beers can benefit, at least have interesting changes in character, from aging. (See Papazian and Mosher for more authoritative references).

So, with that in mind... My brewing season is coming to an end (it's time to go sailing) and I am planning brew up an IPA and leave it to condition/age while we are gone (about 6 months). My current version of the recipe (using BrewSmith), has an OG of 1.068, IBU of 55.8, and estimated ABV of 7.0%.

I suppose I could be really historically authentic and put the keg aboard to condition while we're out cruising, but I think I will leave it at home in more controlled conditions (I'm planning to hold the temp at about 60F).

I have not experimented with longer conditioning times before, so I am most interested in observations from those who have -- specific experiences with IPA's would be great.

Thanks,

Curtis

Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #237
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis2010 View Post
So, with that in mind... My brewing season is coming to an end (it's time to go sailing) and I am planning brew up an IPA and leave it to condition/age while we are gone (about 6 months). My current version of the recipe (using BrewSmith), has an OG of 1.068, IBU of 55.8, and estimated ABV of 7.0%.

I have not experimented with longer conditioning times before, so I am most interested in observations from those who have -- specific experiences with IPA's would be great.
IPAs are best consumed fresh. See the label for the famous Pliny the Elder here where they state the same.

If you age an IPA it will allow the hop character to diminish greatly over time. Perhaps while you're away it would be better to age a stout or a brown or a Belgian instead?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #238
geezerpk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

"IPAs are best consumed fresh."
Somewhat ironic since the historical lore seems to indicate that IPAs were developed for their long term preservation properties.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #239
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpk View Post
Somewhat ironic since the historical lore seems to indicate that IPAs were developed for their long term preservation properties.
Tastes have changed, as as well there is a recent belief that the classic tale of IPAs being sent to India is at least "probably" not entirely accurate.

I like a fresh IPA, but a hoppy big beer can also improve with aging as long as the hops aren't the focal point. Case in point, a Belgian Golden Strong I brewed which was a 1/2 batch, but I accidentally boiled with the full batch amount of hops. Took a while, but the hops actually mellowed out nicely after 1.5 years.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #240
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpk View Post
Go ahead and age your IPAs if that's what gives you the best results. My personal experience has been in line with what others have said about the hop character diminishing over time.

Quick Reply