Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging beer: Facts, myths, and discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great post.

Two things I would add:

1) Cutting 1/2" off the dip tube of the keg helps avoid sediment before it has had a chance to compact completely.

2) Some yeast aren't very flocculant (eg Kolsch) so for those beers it can help to fine with gelatin, isinglass, or KC finings a few days before transferring to drop out the yeast, and then transfer/crash cool. For the bottlers they will have to stick with gelatin. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/gela...12/#post543966

I did Orfy's mild grain to glass in 14 days. It was perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

+1 on the pitch rate: Around the 6mo mark after I started brewing, I had about 3 consecutive brews that never fully attenuated. That's pretty much when I started making big starters and pitching tons of yeast. Since then I've never had a beer not finish where I wanted it... and since I mostly use wlp001 that's pretty low on the hydro!

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 10-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

I'm with TexLaw:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
I pitch large quanities of healthy yeast from a starter.
Quote:
Fermenting at proper temperatures (and, I only mean "proper," not "precise") goes a long way toward acheiving quick drinkability. Even if you pitch a larger starter, letting your temperature get out of whack can make for some rough beer.
These two factors are the most frequent ones I encounter when I sample homebrews that exhibit off-flavors. For many brewers paying attention to making the yeast happy will make the difference between so-so (or terrible) homebrew and award-winning homebrew.

Quote:

Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #14
tmoney1224
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I'm with TexLaw:

These two factors are the most frequent ones I encounter when I sample homebrews that exhibit off-flavors. For many brewers paying attention to making the yeast happy will make the difference between so-so (or terrible) homebrew and award-winning homebrew.
So with everyone saying its important to have a high pitch rate, would making a starter out of dry yeast make any noticable improvements?

Primary 1: Milk Stout
Primary 2: Fizzy Yellow Beer
Primary 3: Boulevard Wheat with a twist
Planning: 1554 Clone

Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #15
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I've been a proponent of the quick turnaround for a long time.

I can get a great beer (1.045 ish or below) from grain to glass inside of 21 days.

One Caveat: If I'm going to keg and chill, then plan to bottle some off using the BMBF and store those bottles at room temp...I'll give the beer more time in the fermenter at room temp first.

It seems there is just enough residual sugars in quick beers that returning them to room temp in bottles restarts CO2 production and overcarb'd beers.

This one is 20 days:
clearestbeer.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

lewybrewing Likes This 
Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #16
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

With dry yeast, no. If you want more yeast just pitch more yeast. It's cheap.

1 11g package of dry yeast is roughly equivalent to a 1.5L starter of liquid yeast. For a normal gravity beer, that is adequate. I like Jamil's calculator, takes the guesswork out of it: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator. For White Labs under viability, use the date four months before the "best by" date. I don't recall what it is for Wyeast but I think it says on the package.

Quote:

Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #17
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I am able to go from grain to glass in as little as 19 days. And I bottle!
Fermentation is complete with sprinkled dry yeast in 5 days.
I leave the ale in the primary for another 7 days to clear ( so total 12 days in primary)
I bottle, and sample at 7 days. It's usually well carbonated and crystal clear. (at room temp in the bottle anyways)
Another week in the bottle improves the beer somewhat but after that I drink it every day.
I don't understand the logic behind leaving the ale in primary any longer than 12-14 days.
I don't understand the logic of transferring ales to secondary and waiting longer.
I don't understand why some guys can't get their ales to carbonate in well under 14 days in the bottle.
I always save some bottles to age longer, but they don't really seem to improve much after two weeks or so in the bottle.

Give us this day our liquid bread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #18
knowltonm
Recipes 

I must say I am inspired...for my Irish Red next week I'll leave it in primary for 12-14 days and bottle. I haven't produced a beer in under a month yet, I've used a secondary for all 27 I've brewed. The beer does seem to go through changes over time, but I'll see how this does for me. I don't have the stuff for bigger starters (only have a 1L flask) and my fermentation temp isn't perfect but quite good, 67-70 degrees at all times but it varies with day/night. 2L flask and fermentation chamber are soon to come!

Primary: 20 min IPA (14oz cascade/5gal), partigyle pale
Secondary: Mead
Bottled: Orange Cream Ale, Big Red Ale, RIS, American Stout, Nut Brown Ale, American Amber Ale, Brown Porter

Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #19
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

New brewer here, And I have heard elsewhere on this forum that force carbing is not recommended. For the pros out there who have done both, what is the difference in beer quality between force carbing a corny, and just letting it condition naturally(if any)?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #20
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinA View Post
what is the difference in beer quality between force carbing a corny, and just letting it condition naturally?
ZERO...except that a primed/naturally carbed keg will have sediment in the bottom, so your first few pours are cloudy.

Quick Reply