Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging beer: Facts, myths, and discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #161
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 387

i'm still struggling with this. it took my porter 2 months of keg aging to become tasty. it was drinkable after 3 weeks in the keg, but wasn't close to great until after 2 months.

i make starters, but have no stir plate. is it really just about more yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #162
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
But, Yuri, I bottle condition my beer! Well, my friend, you have to wait an extra 2-3 weeks. There's no getting around that. Yeast work slowly when under pressure in an alcoholic environment. Patience is still a virtue..
I just started kegging. I still bottle half of all my batches. The bottles are better long before the kegs.

I'm an excellent bottler. I can carb mid gravity beers in three days. To do that in a keg may require shaking back up the sediment. C02 from bottle conditioning comes from within the beer. In a keg it comes forced in from the top. C02 will stay in suspension in a bottle under pressure. It will take time or agitation to go into suspension in a keg. Lower temperatures help in the kegs but is not as effective as bottle conditioning can be (agitation is the only way to beat it.).

A bottle is much smaller. Sediment will settle on the bottom faster. Cooler kegging temps assistant sedimentation but a keg is so much bigger that when compared with my fast bottle carb times the storage temp is irrelevant.

My kegs have took three times as long as my bottles to get as good. I need to become an expert kegger.

My Hefe was (almost) an exception and the above explains why.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #163
wheelerc6
Recipes 

Will beer only age when carbonated?

I ask this because I made a 10 gallon batch a couple of weeks ago of an amber. After fermentation I kegged 5 gallons and forced carbed. The other 5 gallons I dry hopped. After a week in the keg the first 5 gallons tasted green but after another week the caramel notes really started to come through on the pallet and nose. I figured the dry hopped beer would show these caramel notes as soon as it was carbed but I had to let it sit at least 2 weeks after carbonation to get the caramel notes on it.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #164
aphex732
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
I'm drinking a 30 day old brew now, and I don't think it's going to get better. It started at 1.068 and tastes very much like Maudite.
I LOVE Maudite (La Fin Du Monde is another great one) - got a recipe?

Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 AM   #165
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It and a few better ones are in another thread.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/new-o...hlight=Maudite

Old 04-16-2010, 02:25 AM   #166
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fact

most brewery owners start bitching if the beer isnt packaged at 15 days

Fact

10 day beer isn't uncommon

Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #167
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

FACT: I've only met a few beers I didn't like.

Read entire thread, Great job Yuri. I am not going to rib you about the Budweiser comment around post 145, as I have tried a Pabst Blue Ribbon last night and really enjoyed the dang thing. My new son in law has turned me on to so many great beers, he always has Pabst in the fridge (reminds him of his college days). I rib him all of the time, because he is not afraid of spending 5 bucks on a good beer (Hobgoblin or the like). I am going to try another one tonight to test my taste buds when I get home after work.

Thread is great, I was looking for a cheap way to control fermentation temps, to test if it is worth the effort. I see that everyone here agrees it IS important. I have never done it in my 6 years of HBing (still learning). Thank you for that one. I will always use a secondary, just the way I am set up. I am like the post around 90 or so, I use the "Keep Everything Full Method." People always have me bring the beer, everyone else has the briskets and side dishes....I am asked to please bring Home Brew...Now I have learned that when someone wants my brew for a party I can turn one in a few weeks, Thanks for that one! Lastly Thanks for bringing to my attention, my stupidity...Have a stir plate, didn't plan my brew session, sprinkled 4 month old Notingham, 20 hours later sprinkled Nother Notinham.... Should have used the dang Stir Plate!

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 05-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #168
dragonlor20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmantoo View Post
FACT: I've only met a few beers I didn't like.

Read entire thread, Great job Yuri. I am not going to rib you about the Budweiser comment around post 145, as I have tried a Pabst Blue Ribbon last night and really enjoyed the dang thing. My new son in law has turned me on to so many great beers, he always has Pabst in the fridge (reminds him of his college days). I rib him all of the time, because he is not afraid of spending 5 bucks on a good beer (Hobgoblin or the like). I am going to try another one tonight to test my taste buds when I get home after work.

Thread is great, I was looking for a cheap way to control fermentation temps, to test if it is worth the effort. I see that everyone here agrees it IS important. I have never done it in my 6 years of HBing (still learning). Thank you for that one. I will always use a secondary, just the way I am set up. I am like the post around 90 or so, I use the "Keep Everything Full Method." People always have me bring the beer, everyone else has the briskets and side dishes....I am asked to please bring Home Brew...Now I have learned that when someone wants my brew for a party I can turn one in a few weeks, Thanks for that one! Lastly Thanks for bringing to my attention, my stupidity...Have a stir plate, didn't plan my brew session, sprinkled 4 month old Notingham, 20 hours later sprinkled Nother Notinham.... Should have used the dang Stir Plate!
Check that Nottingham against some of the "New Nottingham" threads around here. We have been struggling with a 72 hour start time on Nottingham lately. It is something to do with them changing the date printing method on their packaging, causing air to penetrate the package and kill off a significant portion of the yeast. Check it out, and make sure you have enough head room at 72 hours...

Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #169
DocBrown
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought I'd toss in there that one of the guys in our homebrew club brought a brown ale to our Tuesday night meeting a couple months ago that he had brewed the previous Sunday. Not Sunday a week and half before, Sunday 2 days prior! It was a simple brown ale recipe pitched directly on the yeast cake of another brown ale, so fermentation took off immediately. He pulled a sample from his fermenter and force-carbed it Tuesday evening before the meeting. If he hadn't told us its age we never would have guessed! It was certainly young and probably was much better about two weeks later, but it was a perfectly good homebrewed beer that was only two days old.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #170
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

"Budweiser goes from grain to bottle in 28 days"

i was watching a special on budwieser today on tv and they said that it sits in the fermentor tanks with the beechwood for 30days.

Quick Reply