Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 AM   #1
mmm beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default aging

1 AHS American premium lager
2 AHS American wheat ale
3 Guinness extra stout
4 AHS black ale
I am going to brew the Guinness first, then the wheat ale. How long am I supposed to let these age before they will be good to drink, and how long is to long? And can they be aged in the cornie?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2006, 03:53 AM   #2
Gabe
It's a sickness!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes I actully age in the keg for 3 weeks befor atempting carbonation. It lets you perg all oxygen out and seal off the environment from bad things. I often let my stouts age for 1 month in the primary, and 7-10 days in the secondary. Doesn't hurt anything , but paitience is needed. Wheat beers I like cloudy so I don't secondary them and usually only let them have 2 weeks in the primary b 4 I bottle. After I bottle, say 2 weeks conditioning and then I crack 1 for a try, if all is good I cold condition all my beer at 38 deg untill I am thirsty. I think you know what the next step is. Good luck happy brewing

Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
mmm beer

Recipes 

how long is the home brew good for before it goes to skunky

Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That depends on a number of factors. The primary cause of "skunk" is sunlight interacting with the delicate hop oils. So the more you can shield your brews from sunlight, the longer they'll last. Also, the higher the gravity/ABV, the longer they'll last.

With that American Lager, well, I don't know the OG on your recipe, but lagers, in my experience, are very quick to skunk out. So keep it hidden from sunlight, and don't count on it lasting as long as, say, the Guinness clone you're planning.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
nightstrm
Recipes 

I age all of my brews in kegs hooked up to CO2 @10psi at room temperature. Takes less space and frees up carboys for other brews. This has worked great for me so far.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstrm
I age all of my brews in kegs hooked up to CO2 @10psi at room temperature. Takes less space and frees up carboys for other brews. This has worked great for me so far.
Me too. works for me

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #7
mmm beer

Recipes 

but is there a to long to keep our home brew, I here of people aging beer for a long time, but then I here it should be consumed quickly? Are there beers for aging and beers for not aging?

Quick Reply